The Start of My Late War Display

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Start of My Late War Display

I figured I would create a diary of sorts on creating a late war combat order display. I've seen one or two of these kinds of threads and I find it helpful, so I hope to add another.

I recently purchased an M1915 Bluse and a mannequin torso. I have a good bit of gear already in my collection, including the M17 pictured. The tunic is Hessian given the depot mark, and I'm debating if I want to take the easy (and cheaper) route and add prussian shoulder straps and buckle...or...keep it "correct" and add the proper Hessian straps and buckle. The next piece I'm looking to add is a bread bag strap as they seem to be a little harder to find and I would like to just hurry up and get it out of the way. From there will be the various components on the belt such as the breadbag, bayonet frog, shovel and carrier, ammo pouches, etc. I plan to delay the buckle and straps as long as possible until I decide to go Prussian or Hessian. They will most likely be the last items I purchase.

I currently have a 1917 Gew 98, bayonet, trench knife, M17 gas mask, and some other gear already, so I'm not so far off as it sits.

What I'm really excited for is the process of making the display "personal" by adding items you can't obviously see. Like some period tobacco, post cards, maybe a pipe or rolling papers, or newspaper, all in the bread bag. Placing a soldbuch into the tunic pocket. wrapping an erkennungsmarken around the neck of the mannequin, etc.

We shall see where this journey takes us.

Let me know your opinions on how this can be more than just a display, how can I make it deeper than just "here's some WW1 gear."

I also plan to give a quick little review on some dealers in these posts, though I'm not an affiliate or being paid by any of those I review. starting with:

http://www.oragesdacier.fr/index.php/en/

I purchased the M1915 Bluse from this site and plan to purchase more in the future. This seller has a small selection of some of the lesser-known items for very reasonable prices. Not only that, but he is extremely courteous and helpful with anything you are looking for. He is the type of seller you expect from a dealer. You're dealing with a fellow collector, not so much a typical "militaria dealer."

The mannequin is found here: https://www.storesupply.com/pc-14236...ack-70191.aspx

it holds the tunic well. My only gripe is that the sleeves of the tunic dont look as natural. However, I do like the base and "neck" of the mannequin, they make it seem more mueseum like and obviously make it easier to mount a helmet.
    Attached Files

Hello,

Looks like you've got a great start to an excellent display. The torso mannequin looks very nice. I like the taller stand that you can get for this mannequin.

You can use some acid free tissue paper to stuff the sleeves to make them look more natural. Here's a link to a product from Gaylord that will probably work well: https://www.gaylord.com/Preservation...%29/p/HYB01353 They have a couple of different tissue types that they sell.

I look forward to seeing more pictures of your progress. The added personal items sound like a good plan.

Best Regards,

Alan

Comment

I recently picked up an early canteen on ebay for my display, some mothing to the cover. The leather straps all intact and the hook is still functional. A previous unit marking has been X'd out on the hook. METFAB MUSSBACH 14 on the cap, and METFAB MUSSBACH 13 on the lip of the mouthpiece. On its way is an 1887 bread bag. However, I'm still looking for an ochre bread bag strap. They definitely seem to be scarce!
      Attached Files

Comment

You might have an easier time of it if you look for items that are appropriate, time-wise to your Bluse. You didn't mention if it had a date, but a M15 or M17 canteen would fit better and also a grey bread bag and strap would work better with a Bluse. Just some suggestions.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X