German M18 Camo - Need Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

German M18 Camo - Need Help

After many years of wondering, I am seeking help re this M18 Camo. The helmet is stamped E.T.64 on inside rim and R1584 in the inside dome. Is the camo original authentic? Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Robert Gerard
    Attached Files

Comment

Gerard -
      I look forward to hearing from the more seasoned helmet collectors. I recently started placing a fair amount of my collecting focus on these helmets and based on what I have learned (and chatting with others at SOS), this helmet gives me great pause. I'm not fond of the patterns (although patterns greatly vary!) , it appears the rivets have been replaced, and of course liner is missing), and there are inconsistencies with chipping (no chipping and wear in areas one would expect to see it). Again - I look forward to other posts on this - Thanks for sharing, Dan

Comment

Originally posted by zook View Post
        Gerard -

I look forward to hearing from the more seasoned helmet collectors. I recently started placing a fair amount of my collecting focus on these helmets and based on what I have learned (and chatting with others at SOS), this helmet gives me great pause. I'm not fond of the patterns (although patterns greatly vary!) , it appears the rivets have been replaced, and of course liner is missing), and there are inconsistencies with chipping (no chipping and wear in areas one would expect to see it). Again - I look forward to other posts on this - Thanks for sharing, Dan
        I m not a fan of this camo too

Gesendet von meinem SM-G960F mit Tapatalk

Comment

The more obvious is it's interior which has had a coat of paint.
          The exterior.....well it's not the pattern that concerns me but rather some of the later work like that green touch up around one of the rivets.
          Just by looking over it it raises a lot of eye brow lifting but some of these need to be in your hand for a more serious and educated opinion.

Comment

There is some traces of light brown in the interior, indicating the camo exterior was painted on AFTER the interior was painted black. Many of the helmets that I see that have interiors painted are done because to cover up the advanced rusting. In my opinion, this helmet was once a rusted mess, someone painted the entire thing black, including the interior. Eventually, someone added some rivets, slapped a camo paint job on it, and tried to turn a $50 relic into an overpriced fake.

Comment

It's not an era camo. As mentioned, it was painted over a rusty relic. Many were apparently done from battlefield pick-ups for the tourist trade years ago, or it could be more recent.
              Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Thanks everyone for the information about my helmet. Disappointed but at least now I know it's now a good one.

Robert Gerard

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X