Rare riveted fibre Pickelhaube with Depaheg Patent liner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rare riveted fibre Pickelhaube with Depaheg Patent liner

Here’s a super rare fibre Pickelhaube with the front and rear visors riveted, there have only been 2 of these posted on the WAF over the years, so I was lucky to have ended up with this one. All known examples of these riveted helmets have the ‘Depaheg Patent’ marking on the liner, as does this one. Mine has some interesting features that I’d like input from Pickelhaube experts on before I list it for sale.

My questions to the Pickelhaube experts:
    1. I believe that the liner modifications on this helmet could be period; the liner on this has been cut down (a very long time ago apparently) as well as having the addition of a ‘head pad’ of sorts, which also shows lots of wear, but I haven’t seen one of these before. Has anyone seen modifications like this done by soldiers before? I suspect that these were to make the helmet more comfortable - the fibre helmets are also known to be more comfortable than the leather or metal counterparts.

2. Are the blackened brass helmet spike and grey-steel wappen possibly original to the helmet? They’ve clearly been on for a very long time. These helmets were evidently issued with all-brass components, so is it likely that as per regulation changes, the owner of this helmet blackened the brass of the spike and added the grey-steel wappen?

Best regards
    Attached Files

The rivets holding the spike base look loose , the leather pad is from what looks like a WW2 civil
    Helmet , it’s not how it left the manufacturer that’s for sure . Rob
    God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Originally posted by ROBB View Post
      The rivets holding the spike base look loose , the leather pad is from what looks like a WW2 civil
      Helmet , it’s not how it left the manufacturer that’s for sure . Rob
      Good point actually, I can confirm that the ‘head pad’ looks nearly identical to those in M34 helmets

Comment

These are quite rare as you know , So if it were mine I would remove the black on the spike and base if its brass, lose the pad and get a brass Eagle . Et Voila Rob
        God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X