Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2nd Chevaulegers Reg. Silk Tunic and Cap

Gentlemen,
    I'm curious to know your thoughts on this Chevaulegers Regiment tunic and cap that was auctioned yesterday.
    They sold for only 450 euro plus commission which surprised me greatly because in my experience, silk/rayon uniforms are hard to find which should have made this set very desirable or perhaps I'm missing something here?
    I bid place a bid but then backed off when I saw the lack of interest which was either a wise decision or a big mistake and I'm curious to know which now?
    Cheers
    Attached Files

This was a rare bargain! Worn for riding events and competitions, I believe.

Comment

A bargain indeed and a very rare survivor.

Comment

I'LL TAKE IT! Isn't this Estand??? Is it possible to get more images of this ? We will all learn a few things.

Comment

Those are made of very thin, colorful silk and therefore often show signs of damage/age (cuts, sweat, stains, fragile seams). If I remember correctly, this one has had a long cut at its reverse? I do not remember 100%.

I think it is priced correctly as there are about 25% auction fees to add. Most collectors simply prefer a heavy "bunter rock" for display, as it was the common light cavalry tunic and not for riding events purpose only. Those tunics sell not far more expensive. There are few collectors out there who would prefer a private purchased lightweight tunic without connection to any war theatre nor common military duty. So, it once again is a matter of taste being responsible for the market value. If you are looking for a cheap cavalry tunic and do not concern about anything else, this indeed might have been a great opportunitiy to fill the gap.

Regards
          Stefan

Comment

Thanks for the input guys,
            Personally I would place a premium on any silk cap simply because I really like them and know how difficult they are to find. I have no experience with silk tunics so it's interesting to learn the viewpoint of others in regards to desirability.
            I'm still kicking myself for not winning this particular group although I must admit the colours are not really to my taste.

Comment

The whole uniform has been sold at Stauffer auction in 2017 for 950 Euro, resold at Thies auction for 450 Euro (starting price) and sold again at ebay last week for 600 Euro by a dealer (cap 200, tunic 400). Cap and tunic have severe damage, the whole back of the uniform has a big cut, the silc is very fragile.

Interesting: as the uniform has been sold the first time, no damages have been mentioned (condition II, 2nd chev. reg.). Maybe it has been damaged meanwhile (by trying to put it on a mannequin) or nobody cared about the damage right from the start.

Regards
              Stefan

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X