German camo helmet Opinions sought!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

German camo helmet Opinions sought!

Hi I recently acquired the following M18 Si 66 with a singular camo patter, The seller marked it as original period camo but it looks different than the "typical camo pattern" seen in other helmets. The helmet was on the price range that my humble budget allows. It has a lighter greener tone which it seems it was used as a primer above and then the black lines and an ochre color were added, I am far from being a connoisseur on helmets but the paint "feels" old enough.
    Your valuable opinion is greatly appreciated on my personal learning journey.
    Thank you in advance.
    Choose to have a great day!
    Vellocino
    Attached Files

Appears a period piece in IMO.
    p.s. I do like the way the black line runs around the rim.

Comment

It's a M16 helmet, not M18. The M16 has the M91 chinstrap lugs on the inside rim for chinstrap attachment. The metal liner band on yours indicates a M17 liner system was installed. The M16 liner has a thick leather band. The M18 shell does not have M91 lugs, and the M18 chinstrap is attached to bales fixed on the metal liner band. Don't try to over think the paint, they're all different. The pattern on yours appears to be per regulations.

Your new WWI German camo helmet looks good to me. Congrats.

Chuck

Comment

Great news! Thank you Dragnet and Chuck for your sincere opinion and your descriptive info about the differences in helmet versions. Now to find a way to stabilize the corrosion on the interior of the lid and maintain it in good condition while I am the keeper.
        A sincere thank you,
        Vellocino

Comment

Stabilize it by not doing anything to it. Nice lid. Rob
          God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Originally posted by ROBB View Post
            Stabilize it by not doing anything to it. Nice lid. Rob
            Exactly. Do nothing. Thats all.
            A very nice shell.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G960F mit Tapatalk

Comment

It can be treated with a rust converter, which is basically a wipe on with steel wool and wipe off but it leaves a cleaned look and unless there's an overall desire to do that or rust will destroy the paint job over a period of time (and it will if you know how to view rust) I'd be in agreement with all the other posters here as yours look fantastic the way it is. (mine not so but imo much better now as the images show, of course others may not agree)

I hope that helps.
              Attached Files

Comment

Is it April the 1st? Rob
                God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Originally posted by ROBB View Post
                  Is it April the 1st? Rob
                  .....the day after!

Comment

Hi, I wil follow general consensus and leave it as it is, except controlling the humidity level on the storage space.
                    Thank you again for your honest opinion.
                    Choose to have a great day!

Vellocino

Comment

The helmet has done well for the last 100+ years with no help. Please leave it as is.

Jerry

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X