Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honor Pukol

Is this one real??

This is a description of a like item that was up for auction on a website.

German WWI Navy equivalent of the Army Air Force Honor "Pokol". An Honor Award for becoming an aviation "Ace". Darkened bronze, three-dimensional figure of two eagles in combat. Figures are mounted on a 5" blackened wood base with a tapered base and platform. Darkened silver, laurel leaf draped plaque with "Dem Sieger im Luftkampf". Overall height 10". The awarding of this honor represents a Navy pilot gaining four victories over enemy aircraft. A rare variation or late war award. Worthy of further research. II
    Attached Files

These are extremely rare, and come in a couple of variants. I don't have my research material handy (moving), so I can't comment on whether the individual checks out or not, and these have been heavily reproduced.

Comment

The engraving looks good and the man is on the list for getting the award in december 1918...
      But I´m not in the situation to judge the eagles:
      Like Vince wrote - more (good!) copies than originals around.
      If original it´s a real "precious", that has to be paid for accordingly!
      Regards
      Hagrid

Comment

I think Hagrid is right, we need detailed shots of the eagles. I think the base and plaque have potential. Where is Jaba1914 (Alex)?

Comment

Thank you for all of the replies.
          I'll have to see how things develop with the owner.
          Tim

Comment

A very interesting piece.
            Holm was an observer while he gain the Ehrenpreis. He got the Ehrenpreis on 21th Nov. 1918 while he was in training to pilot at II. SFA. I don't have information about his victory is documented.

Originally posted by TP Alexander View Post
            The awarding of this honor represents a Navy pilot gaining four victories over enemy aircraft. A rare variation or late war award. Worthy of further research. II
            This is not correct. The Ehrenpreis was awarded for the first victory during the war. For the second victory a new plaque was mounted on the reverse of the wooden podest.

Kind regards
            Alex

Comment

Hopefully, these additional pictures can help in determining its authenticity.
              Attached Files

Comment

This is a stunning piece.

Kind regards

Comment

Here is a plaque to compare with (from Ratisbon's auction)

Gary B
                  Attached Files
                  ANA LM #1201868, OMSA LM #60, OVMS LM #8348

Comment

Originally posted by jaba-the-hunt View Post
                    A very interesting piece.
                    Holm was an observer while he gain the Ehrenpreis. He got the Ehrenpreis on 21th Nov. 1918 while he was in training to pilot at II. SFA. I don't have information about his victory is documented.

This is not correct. The Ehrenpreis was awarded for the first victory during the war. For the second victory a new plaque was mounted on the reverse of the wooden podest.

Kind regards
                    Alex
                    As I understand it the preis was not just awarded for aerial victories but could be awarded for other significant acts such as the sinking of a ship. The pries with 2 plaques that I have seen have the one on the front with the name of the recipient while the reverse plaque had details of the event i.e. sinking of a ship.

Gary B
                    ANA LM #1201868, OMSA LM #60, OVMS LM #8348

Comment

Id love to own one.

How much do they cost?

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Symonds View Post
                        Id love to own one.

How much do they cost?
                        Weitze’s has one asking for around €25,000 and Ratisbon sold one for €20,000 at auction, before the premium was added on.

I didn’t get the stuff.
                        Too much stuff and I couldn’t swing the investment.
                        The guy was shopping it around and I know who got it.
                        Tim

Comment

Great piece, love the look of those eagles.

Comment

Originally posted by TP Alexander View Post
                            Weitze’s has one asking for around €25,000 and Ratisbon sold one for €20,000 at auction, before the premium was added on.

I didn’t get the stuff.
                            Too much stuff and I couldn’t swing the investment.
                            The guy was shopping it around and I know who got it.
                            Tim
                            The ehrenpries is a pretty cool award. However, $28K cool? It's weird to pay that much cash for an award that does not hold the merit of a pour le merite or a military max joseph award. Perhaps an ehrenbecher to a plm recipient with kills engraved (one can never tell who did such engraving or when) would be a notable award as well.

I guess I wouldn't be too sad about one getting away. Further, given all the fakes (there is one that has been on german ebay for years) I would not buy one unless Carsten Baldes had taken a look at it.

What was the final price for the one you were looking at?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,722 at 03:33 AM on Today.

Working...
                            X