Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cased 1st Class Mecklenburg Cross

Looking for some advice.

Does this look good to you ? Never seen this type of variant. It looks like a second class cross that has been filed with hardware added.

Last edited by rhys1; 06-19-2019, 11:26 AM.

I have seen other examples of this award converted like this, looks to be period. The case is also old, but not an award type.

Comment

I'm only seeing 2 pics. I'd like to see a straight-on shot of the reverse. I've seen 2nd to 1st class M-S MVK conversions (and own one) but for me, the pin and hinge do not look period so I'm wondering if this is (at best) a Frankenstein.

Regards
      Mike
      Regards
      Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Kenny View Post
        I'm only seeing 2 pics. I'd like to see a straight-on shot of the reverse. I've seen 2nd to 1st class M-S MVK conversions (and own one) but for me, the pin and hinge do not look period so I'm wondering if this is (at best) a Frankenstein.

Regards
        Mike
        These are pics the dealer sent, I’ll ask for some pics of the revers straight on

Comment

Originally posted by VtwinVince View Post
          I have seen other examples of this award converted like this, looks to be period. The case is also old, but not an award type.
          Thanks for your help

Comment

The seller just sent these over :-

Comment

Having now seen the additional pics, I'll stick by my original comments re the hardware on that cross. Definitely not for me.

I'm attaching a couple of scans of a typical period conversion fyi. I've seen more than one like this.

Regards
              Mike
              Attached Files
              Regards
              Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Looks okay and time period to me! Ok.... maybe not a texbook conversion! But conversions are not always texbook. If you didn't have much money at the time, you go to a handy neighbor, friend or converted it yourself. See here the result

Comment

I agree, I would certainly have no problem with this one, and I kind of like these one-off Frankensteins.

Comment

What would you consider to be a fair price for such an item ?

Comment

A good cased award type will set you back about 350.00, so maybe half of that?

Comment

Here as an example, an awarded 1st. Class Mecklenburg Cross made by Zimmermann. As far as I know, only Zimmermann and AWS made the awarded 1st Class Mecklenburg Crosses. The majority through Zimmmermann!

Mecklenburg-Schwerin Militarverdienstkreuz 1. Klasse 1914 (2).jpg

Mecklenburg-Schwerin Militarverdienstkreuz 1. Klasse 1914 (1).jpg

Comment

I would not want it either. You see that pin style on Latvian fake EK1s. Even if original you will be hard pressed to sell it later on.
                          pseudo-expert

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X