age patina

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

age patina

I recently purchased two picklehuabes with exstensive age patina.At a time when the market is flodded with repros i would suggest its the only way to buy.Not sure if i can mention where i bought them ,but one is an officers wurtemburg found yes in an attic ,and sold for restoration,but is complete, but faded and dusty ect. The other one is m15 prussian picklehaube with removable spike, and once again has much age patina, and a few dents in the leather body,the rear peak has some nice unit marks also Im seeing a lot of pickelhaubes for sale on sites in mint condition which personally puts me off.These items are at least 100 years old, and should be showing a lot of age patina ,especially the ones back from the trenches,Interested to k now your thoughts ?

Patina and age can be faked.

Gary B
    ANA LM #1201868, OMSA LM #60, OVMS LM #8348

Comment

Originally posted by Gary B View Post
      Patina and age can be faked.

Gary B
      Gary b you are right,but with relics from a battlefield,its very much less likely.I will say the ones with an ss decal still have to be studied closely for obvious reasons.we learn over the years to mostly imediatley to spot fake aging or decals.I mentioned i recently bought two decaled relic german helmets from volgograd.The group selling these highly historic items are sanctioned by the russian government.I long ago gave up on buying standard militaria as thats where the fakers are most at work.ps thanku for your reply.

Comment

There's an entire industry in the UK making new things look old. It started with faking medieval armor in the 1700's, when the Romantic movement and Sir Walter Scott were the popular rage. It grew from a cottage industry to a full sector of the antique business during the Victorian period, when every middle class family had a curio cabinet in the parlor filled with "antiques" and "curiosities" from the exotic orient, which in most cases was no farther east than the Docklands. Today it is a major industry in London, producing faux antiques for the tourist trade on Portobello Road as well as genuine chicanery for the higher end of antique fraud. This isn't a couple guys with some Brass Black, it's thousands of people in a highly organized network. A lot of what you think is old isn't. The Brits have been at this for 300 years.

Comment

im relaxed

Originally posted by SkaraBrae View Post
          There's an entire industry in the UK making new things look old. It started with faking medieval armor in the 1700's, when the Romantic movement and Sir Walter Scott were the popular rage. It grew from a cottage industry to a full sector of the antique business during the Victorian period, when every middle class family had a curio cabinet in the parlor filled with "antiques" and "curiosities" from the exotic orient, which in most cases was no farther east than the Docklands. Today it is a major industry in London, producing faux antiques for the tourist trade on Portobello Road as well as genuine chicanery for the higher end of antique fraud. This isn't a couple guys with some Brass Black, it's thousands of people in a highly organized network. A lot of what you think is old isn't. The Brits have been at this for 300 years.
          I am very relaxed that every single item in my collection be it militaria or antques in general is 100 per cent original.I agree now days there are fakes of everything about but most can easily be seen as fake.The more sophisticated fakes can also with a bit of study.some fakes are good though as iv a few rare picklehuabes in repro form,no problem.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X