Baron von Richthofen, what happens with jis awards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baron von Richthofen, what happens with jis awards

This day 101 years ago the red baron, Manfred von Richthofen passed away, I was jus curious what happens with his wawards, are they still with the family which was unbelievable for me or are they stored in a museum on display somewhere, or are they in a collection?

All what I have found are a few pictures which are showing really impressive spangen?

The PLM changes his "style" in the different pictures, so which one shows the originals?

Matt
    Attached Files

Originally posted by August von Mackensen View Post
    This day 101 years ago the red baron, Manfred von Richthofen passed away, I was jus curious what happens with his wawards, are they still with the family which was unbelievable for me or are they stored in a museum on display somewhere, or are they in a collection?

All what I have found are a few pictures which are showing really impressive spangen?

The PLM changes his "style" in the different pictures, so which one shows the originals?

Matt

I follow.
    Best regards Thomas.

WWW.CROWMOOR.DK

Comment

The picture with the "text papers" has a different bar on it than what's in the black and white photo. The other display pillow with the RAO with Crown and Swords tangled with the PlM is most likely the same set as in the black and white photo (which is regrettably small).

Comment

I've never thought about his medals, but I have always wondered where his victory trophies are. Especially his silver victory cups he would have engraved after scoring another downed plane. He would go out to the wreckage after a mission and take a piece of the aircraft he shot down back with him. There are photos floating around of his "stash" as well as his cups. A similar set of cups was sold on emedals a while back and it pains me to think I missed a chance to purchase them

Comment

Trophies mentioned above, notice the light fixture in the center of the ceiling
          Attached Files

Comment

Cups;

I always wondered myself where his silver engraved aerial victory cups went. One for each confirmed kill. I remember seeing that photo of the cups also. Maybe someone will shed some light on this and his Medals.

Comment

Dear fellow collectors,

there are dozens of collectors and museums who claim to own von Richthofen's medals. I think none of them do. Most of his awards were, in my opinion, returned to the state, repaired, and given out again or melted down. This was the custom with the awards which had to be returned, and I don't believe they'd make an exception for the red baron.

There are dozens of collectors who claim to have 'the grouping' of von Richthofen, but those groupings always contain fakes, an easy way of spotting a lie.

Kind regards, Laurentius

Comment

His estate was overrun by the Russian army, his mother escaped with almost nothing.
                I guess most was plundered and/or destroyed.
                The medal displays shown above are replicas.
                Pete

Comment

I'm not surprised that nothing has survived from Schweidnitz, the Russians were notorious for setting everything on fire that wasn't destroyed in the fighting. They set my family's Schloss on fire after capturing it intact.

Comment

You may find this of interest :-
                    http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=42796

Comment

Thanks for the link, I'm a member of that forum and missed that topic.Anyway, I hate to be a cynic, but the only reason the Poles are preserving that site is for tourism reasons.

Comment

The black and white photo of his ordenskissen is the real thing. They were displayed on his funeral in Berlin in 1925. It should be noted that a BMVO with Crown and Swords is displayed, but we now know that he only received the fourth class with NO crown.

One of the color photos ( the one in the middle) shows the replication done by fellow collector Daniel Cole. The bar was later sold by its individual medals. The PLM was a 57 S&L

The other two color photos show the replication in the hands of San Diego Air and Space Museum. This replication is incorrect since it has missing awards, and had awards never won by MvR. The PLM in San Diego is a Rothe copy.

MvR’s PLM was a Wagner of the 1914-1916 type. Most probably the hollow silver gilt.

The whereabouts of MvR medals is unknown.

Not everything was taken by the Russians. The family was warned about their advance with enough time to salvage valuables, especially silver.

Several cups have survived.

These are No 10 and 11. 11 is a really important victory

Comment

That is interesting, what collection are those in?

Comment

The Pour le Mérite visible in the colour picture aside the label "THE RED BARON'S 'Blue Max'" etc. is a "tall crown" copy of the Rothe type: although relatively blurry, the picture allows to appreciate the "broad" cross's centre.

This type of cross, recently appeared in another discussion, devoted to the Rothe-Type PLM too.

Best wishes,

Enzo (E.L.)

Comment

Originally posted by VtwinVince View Post
                              That is interesting, what collection are those in?

Omaka Aviation Heritage Centre, NZ

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X