Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ehrenpreis? Oblt zS Delius

Hi,

I bought this ehrenpreis-like award several years ago. It was part of the Dan Frailey collection.

The award date on the plaque is 18 April 1917.

As you can see it is not a typical ehrenpreis and all lists of naval aviation personnel (pilots/observers) do not contain an Oberleutnant der See Delius.

Does anyone have a Naval rank list that would show what unit he was assigned to? I am wondering if he might have been assigned to a Zeppelin unit which would explain the rank (zur See), different type of ehrenpreis and the fact that he is not listed as a pilot/observer.

Thanks.

Gary B
    Attached Files
    ANA LM #1201868, OMSA LM #60, OVMS LM #8348

Originally posted by Gary B View Post
    Hi,

I bought this ehrenpreis-like award several years ago. It was part of the Dan Frailey collection.

The award date on the plaque is 18 April 1917.

As you can see it is not a typical ehrenpreis and all lists of naval aviation personnel (pilots/observers) do not contain an Oberleutnant der See Delius.

Does anyone have a Naval rank list that would show what unit he was assigned to? I am wondering if he might have been assigned to a Zeppelin unit which would explain the rank (zur See), different type of ehrenpreis and the fact that he is not listed as a pilot/observer.

Thanks.

Gary B
    Well-

Whatever it is, it is pretty cool. However, weren't zeppelin crews/captains given Thor goblets?

I have seen several non award items that have the same "fighting eagle" configuration seen on ehrenpreis awards. Keep in mind that the actual ehrenpreis award is highly faked and there are a few subtle key factors (like everything) that helps to distinguish real items.

I would run it by Carsten Baldes, as he probably has seen the most ehrenpreis awards and he would be able to provide the best insight.

Comment

Hi blindpew,

Thanks for the comments. This originally resided in the Dan Frailey collection. I recall he was a big German Navy collector.

All known Thor goblets were given to Army crews. Carsten Baldes speculates in his book on Imperial Aviation badges that there was the possibility that Navy crews might have received some sort of prize in the same format as the Navy ehrenpreis.

The eagles on this one are the smaller version, similar to the small dueling eagles that Weitze had on his site a few years ago.

There is only one Leutnant zS Delius listed in the Navy officer books but no indication that he served in any aviation related unit/zeppelin. SO still not sure what this is.....

Gary B

Comment

Hi blindpew,

Thanks for the comments. This originally resided in the Dan Frailey collection. I recall he was a big German Navy collector.

All known Thor goblets were given to Army crews. Carsten Baldes speculates in his book on Imperial Aviation badges that there was the possibility that Navy crews might have received some sort of prize in the same format as the Navy ehrenpreis.

The eagles on this one are the smaller version, similar to the small dueling eagles that Weitze had on his site a few years ago.

There is only one Leutnant zS Delius listed in the Navy officer books but no indication that he served in any aviation related unit/zeppelin. SO still not sure what this is.....

Gary B
        Well.................. that's some good information. Maybe you should contact Carsten, as (as everyone knows) he is a nice fellow and would probably be very interested.

Again, whatever it is, is looks pretty darn cool.

Comment

Thanks for your suggestion...I dropped him an e-mail.

Gary B

Comment

Interesting looking item, can you post a close-up of the inscription?

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Hi Gary,

this is because he never served in the navy airship service. His service is complete covered in the Ehrenrangliste and confirmed with the 1918 Rangliste. There is no evidence of service in the navy airship for any of the three Delius but you still assume it.
                I looked to all known navy airship crews and still nothing.

I know the piece from Weitze wich was offerd with an military pass of an navy observer. He assume it is related to the MP but without any evidence.

I like the piece but imho it is not that what you assume to be.

Kind regards
                Alex

Comment

Hi Alex,

I am just trying to figure out what it is. My questions related to the 3 Delius's is just to see if anything might have been overlooked or if additional information has come to light in the past few years.

Just as with the engraved ehrenbecher post (in this section) additional information found since the post started in 2012, helped identify the crew the goblet was awarded to.

Gary B
                  Last edited by Gary B; 03-25-2019, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Hi Alex,

I am just trying to figure out what it is. My questions related to the 3 Delius's is just to see if anything might have been overlooked or if additional information has come to light in the past few years.

Just as with the engraved ehrenbecher post (in this section) additional information found since the post started in 2012, helped identify the crew the goblet was awarded to.

Gary B

I understand Gary, but in your case there will be no news because your approach is wrong. And that is Delius.
                    You will not find out what it is by searching about Delius. Imho the plaque is not original on the podest and the infos provided are incorrect.

If the former collector was an expert on imperial navy then he knew that something is wrong.

Kind regards Alex

Comment

I honestly don't like the plaque or the inscription. I would expect the word 'Luftkampf' to be 'Luftkampfe', similar to the Ehrenbecher.

Comment

Originally posted by VtwinVince View Post
                        I honestly don't like the plaque or the inscription. I would expect the word 'Luftkampf' to be 'Luftkampfe', similar to the Ehrenbecher.
                        Hi,

The ehrenpries used "Luftkampf".

Gary B
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hi,

The ehrenpries used "Luftkampf".

Gary B
                          The font of the letters on the two plaques are the same, but the lettering itself has distinct difference between the two.

Comment

All of the wreath details on the plaque on my marble plinth are engraved not embossed through stamping. Additionally the plaque on mine is more of a portrait orientation than a landscape orientation.

Gary B

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                            X