Bavarian Commemorative Pilot Badge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bavarian Commemorative Pilot Badge

Nicely struck but I don't believe that flat catch is ever correct? Your knowledge appreciated!
    Attached Files

Not a period piece.
    pseudo-expert

Comment

Originally posted by Don D. View Post
      Not a period piece.
      Thanks for the confirmation! Always interested to know more detail. If the catch were different it would be a dang nice looking badge.

Comment

It's a simple fake.
        Detail is terrible... look at the bird and the crown.
        Also the hinge and catch are a giveaway.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightstalker View Post
          It's a simple fake.
          Detail is terrible... look at the bird and the crown.
          Also the hinge and catch are a giveaway.
          Nothing is a simple fake. Someone, somewhere made it and the more knowledge we have the better armed we are.

Comment

Looks like a 57- er style pin and catch. The badge itself is doubtful. Proper period examples of this badge ( and they are rare) are always with a separately soldered on eagle . The wreath normally ( as per pollath ) has ‘V’ shaped cutouts to accommodate the wings and therefore make a neater solder joint . This looks cast to me .
            Ferg

Comment

Originally posted by Ferg 1 View Post
              Looks like a 57- er style pin and catch. The badge itself is doubtful. Proper period examples of this badge ( and they are rare) are always with a separately soldered on eagle . The wreath normally ( as per pollath ) has ‘V’ shaped cutouts to accommodate the wings and therefore make a neater solder joint . This looks cast to me .
              Ferg
              Thank you! Excellent information!

Comment

Originally posted by Ferg 1 View Post
                Proper period examples of this badge ( and they are rare) are always with a separately soldered on eagle . The wreath normally ( as per pollath ) has ‘V’ shaped cutouts to accommodate the wings and therefore make a neater solder joint.
                Ferg
                I assume this would be true of the Prussian version as well?
                Attached Files

Comment

Generally speaking the Junckers etc ... do have a separate eagles ,the Meybauer you show was a all in one strike with the commemorative badges
                  Ferg

Comment

I like the unmarked Meybauer you show us here...
                    The threadstarter badge is a poor copy, though.
                    Regards
                    Hagrid

Comment

I guess I should ask about the third maker....
                      Attached Files

Comment

Unfortunately this is not an original Poellath badge - the design of the bow and the lower building are (some) of the give-aways, the MM is not correct as well...
                        Regard
                        Hagrid

Comment

Originally posted by Hagrid View Post
                          Unfortunately this is not an original Poellath badge - the design of the bow and the lower building are (some) of the give-aways, the MM is not correct as well...
                          Regard
                          Hagrid
                          Wondered about the detail ... could you post a clear pic of a good hallmark for reference? THANKS

Comment

To muddy the waters on Poellath badges, the hallmarks are not consistent throughout the production period.

Comment

Originally posted by Wartime Collectables View Post
                              Wondered about the detail ... could you post a clear pic of a good hallmark for reference? THANKS
                              There are two accepted variations (see pictures, quoted from Stephens book) at least.
                              The "800" could be substituted by "Silber" - that´s legit as well...
                              Note that it´s actually 3 separate punches, each applied in a line of it´s own!
                              Regard
                              Hagrid
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Hagrid; 02-04-2019, 04:59 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X