Merit Order of the Bavarian Crown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Merit Order of the Bavarian Crown

I was asked to evaluate this Verdienstorden der Bayerischen Krone (Merit Order of the Bavarian Crown) that was among an old collection. I understand that the Order was awarded in four classes. I would like to know what class of the award this is and also what its realistic value is.

Barry

P.S. Sorry that the photos appear sideways, but I don't think it will have any effect on evaluating it.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Stormfighter; 12-22-2018, 01:53 PM.

--
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Barry,

This is a rare order, awarded in three classes, and I believe came with the title of 'von', similar to the Max-Josef Order. I would expect an order of this scarcity to be made by one of the major court jewellers, such as Leser or Hemmerle, and I don't see any markings on yours. This isn't to say it couldn't be an early piece, as it was awarded for many years. You'll need to get one of the experts on Bavarian orders to have a look at this one, as there are many very convincing replicas of high German orders floating around that were produced during the '70's.

Comment

Originally posted by ME109 View Post
        Hi Barry,

This is a rare order, awarded in three classes, and I believe came with the title of 'von', similar to the Max-Josef Order. I would expect an order of this scarcity to be made by one of the major court jewellers, such as Leser or Hemmerle, and I don't see any markings on yours. This isn't to say it couldn't be an early piece, as it was awarded for many years. You'll need to get one of the experts on Bavarian orders to have a look at this one, as there are many very convincing replicas of high German orders floating around that were produced during the '70's.
        Thanks a lot - that's good information. Hopefully an expert on Bavarian Orders will chime in. Thanks again!

Comment

Dear stormfighter

It is my opinion that this piece is fake. The quality of the bavarian light blue/white enamel is bad, same goes for the enamel on the motto. I think this was a genuine Luxemburgian Order of the Oakcrown which has been taken apart and someone slapped on a medaillon to make it look like a bavarian Merit order of the Crown.

Kind regards, Laurentius

Comment

Originally posted by laurentius_ww1 View Post
            Dear stormfighter

It is my opinion that this piece is fake. The quality of the bavarian light blue/white enamel is bad, same goes for the enamel on the motto. I think this was a genuine Luxemburgian Order of the Oakcrown which has been taken apart and someone slapped on a medaillon to make it look like a bavarian Merit order of the Crown.

Kind regards, Laurentius
            Thanks very much Laurentius!

Comment

I am sorry, but this star is wrong, all wrong. Aside from the obvious lack of overall quality, there are a couple of key points to be easily pointed out.

The body of this star, sometimes referred to as an “Austrian star”, is a type commonly used for fakes, copies or whatever you choose to call them. Most obvious though is the center medallion with the blue and white diamond pattern. This pattern should run at a 315 to 135 degree line rather than 270 to 90 as we see here.

I hope that this information is helpful.

Best wishes,

Wild Card

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Card View Post
                I am sorry, but this star is wrong, all wrong. Aside from the obvious lack of overall quality, there are a couple of key points to be easily pointed out.

The body of this star, sometimes referred to as an “Austrian star”, is a type commonly used for fakes, copies or whatever you choose to call them. Most obvious though is the center medallion with the blue and white diamond pattern. This pattern should run at a 315 to 135 degree line rather than 270 to 90 as we see here.

I hope that this information is helpful.

Best wishes,

Wild Card
                Thank you Wild Card!

Comment

Although not hallmarked on the pin, this breast star was made by Messrs. Rothe & Neffe of Vienna.

The hinge, already from what's visible in the picture, is a clear detail to date the piece after 1945. More exactly, between 1950-70.

Rothe produced any Bavarian Order, also before 1918 and their quality was at the highest level.

They widely used their old dies, until the end of the 70s and probably the early 80s.

The quality of their reproductions, was always very fine and some of them are now quite dangerous, when they are "upgraded"...

Best wishes,

E.L.

Comment

Originally posted by Elmar Lang View Post
                    Although not hallmarked on the pin, this breast star was made by Messrs. Rothe & Neffe of Vienna.

The hinge, already from what's visible in the picture, is a clear detail to date the piece after 1945. More exactly, between 1950-70.

Rothe produced any Bavarian Order, also before 1918 and their quality was at the highest level.

They widely used their old dies, until the end of the 70s and probably the early 80s.

The quality of their reproductions, was always very fine and some of them are now quite dangerous, when they are "upgraded"...

Best wishes,

E.L.
                    Thank you very much Elmar! Would you be able to tell me the value of this breast star?

Barry

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X