unmarked FR - Help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

unmarked FR - Help please

I'm trying to identify this cross for a friend.
    To my eyes, it looks like a "FR" . If someone sees something else, plese
    feel free to set me straight.

Thanks for your help,
    Greg
    Attached Files

It can very well be a FR imo.

Comment

Thanks Miro.

Comment

That kind of straight pin and hardware is a trade mark to all Friedlaender.
        And I do recognize the core as well as one of the standard ones used by this maker

Comment

Thank you

Comment

I think so too,

But for me FR stands for Frank & Reif, Stuttgart.

Comment

Originally posted by römischIX View Post
              I think so too,
              Thanks

Comment

I assume the makers FR and Fr are still separate individual makers?

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=263078
                pseudo-expert

Comment

Originally posted by Don D. View Post
                  I assume the makers FR and Fr are still separate individual makers?

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=263078
                  I always believed that they were different companies. I have seen lots of
                  examples of both crosses and on a lot of the 1st class, the hardware is different
                  between them. Most noticeable, the hinge block. Also, one has a smooth
                  core while the other uses a pebbled core. Even the frames are slightly different.
                  One has nice well defined beading while the other is more sloppy.

All that being said, this does not hold true for every example.

In trying to find a match to the cross that I posted, I found an old thread where
                  Chris B and Sascha make a good point about them being the same company.
                  http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ht=Friedlander

so, I'm still not sure but I do trust Sascha's opinions.

I would be interested in seeing what others might have to say.
                  Last edited by gregM; 12-15-2018, 09:42 AM.

Comment

This is what I found and know about the marking F.R

Until 1922 the products of Rothe & Neffe were hallmarked with 'FR' placed in a rhombus (Amtspunzierung registration number 711; II/158). Over the same period Christian Rothe also used the hallmark which was entered under his personal name in the register of workshops of the Viennese Assay Office (Amtspunzierung Wien). His personal hallmark was in the form of the letters 'FR' placed in a rectangle, with a dot between the letters (Amtspunzierung registration number 722; II/158). This hallmark appeared on decorations made in the early period of workshop production.

F.R Christain Rothe..jpg

Comment

FR made some wonderful Austrian awards but did they make iron crosses?
                      I guess, I would like to see a known FR made and marked Austrian award
                      and a Iron cross either 1st or 2nd class with the exact same mark in high
                      res similar the the one just posted by Green. We've seen ones that look close
                      or somewhat similar but nothing that is a 100% -no doubt about it match.

Green--great picture BTW.
                      Last edited by gregM; 12-15-2018, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gregM View Post
                        FR made some wonderful Austrian awards but did they make iron crosses?
                        I guess, I would like to see a known FR made and marked Austrian piece
                        and a Iron cross either 1st or 2nd class with the exact same mark in high
                        res similar the the one just posted by Green. We've seen ones that look close
                        or somewhat similar but nothing that is a 100% -no doubt about it match.

Green--great picture BTW.
                        For the record.......it is not a picture made by me........so the credit goes to the maker by these

Just find the link to the same information I find a couple of years ago:

http://gmic.co.uk/topic/43319-austri...onal-comments/
                        Last edited by Green; 12-15-2018, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X