What is the "Bürgerwehr"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the "Bürgerwehr"?

I would like to know what is the Bürgerwehr and if is related with the Einwohnerwehr.

Thanks in advance,
    ciao.
    Mario

Mario,

Methinks both are much the same and refer to more or less paramilitary units raised in the aftermath of WW1 to guard against the revolutionary forces. Also don't think in terms of a Bürger-/Einwohnerwehr in the sense of a standard organisation, these seem to have been raised by individual cities. I have seen a photoalbum showing a group of Heidelberg students 'serving' in the Heidelberg Einwohnerwehr (only after lectures, of course). They are wearing standard WW1 military sueplus kit and even have an MG 08!

Regards,
    Karl

Comment

Bürgerwehr also had a small lifespan during the crazy days of 1848 in Prussia and perhaps elsewhere in Germany. It was created because the masses demanded another option for the army witch they weren't fond of. It was disbanded after the Wilhelm IV and the army got a tighter grip on things later the same year. The Bürgerwehr was a crappy force at best, it was more inclined to loot shops than keep the order.
      Antti

Comment

Bürgerwehr

I think this is the uniform for McDonald's employees.

Chip

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
        X