Wooden Plaque (fantasy?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wooden Plaque (fantasy?)

Looking opinions on this WWI hand made and painted wooden plaque of what appears to be a German soldier with name and unit hand painted on the plaque. There are also coins from various countries attached to the front of the plaque and on the reverse is a portion of a German newspaper. Both the front and the back have a sealer or varnish coating .

Is this real or some sort of hand made fantasy piece? If it is junk, I can't see why someone would go through all the trouble of creating the wood work, hand painting and varnishing the piece. It seems like a lot of work to create a piece of junk.

Also, the last pic is a pick of the side of the soldier and what appears to be the name of the "artist" , who appears to be Oscar Contee.

All comments are welcome.

Thanks,

Sammy T.
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

A WW2 themed plaque with fake decals from the 70's I am told....

Attached Files
        RonR

Comment

Attached Files
          RonR

Comment

"Also, the last pic is a pick of the side of the soldier and what appears to be the name of the "artist" , who appears to be Oscar Contee. "

There are different names in the same position on this one that I will shoot in the morning and add to this interesting thread.

Best regards,
            RonR

Comment

Same initials.....

Attached Files
              RonR

Comment

that's funny Ron looks like your soldat is as handsome as mine. Thanks for sharing your "artwork" too. What I don't understand is that both of these plaques had to take some time to create. Between the wood work and the painting, etc..

I'm curious to see if others have similar items or have some additional info.

In the mean time I guess my plaque will get tossed in my box of junk to go to the auction.

thanks for your input.

Sammy T.

Comment

That is not even worthy of calling it the art!

Comment

I would not be so quick to quick to discard yours.

Actually after further examination, the decals on mine are not decals, but also hand painted.

Mine has different names on the edges as well.

This artwork is too time consuming and too well done to be intended to fool for a price which was insignificant so many years ago.

Attached Files
                    RonR

Comment

The first soldier shown is not a German but an Austrian IMO (rank insignia on collar and steel helmet are both Austrian - same with the crown above the two crossed sabres). What does the text read underneath the Jaeger horn?

Comment

kaiserwilhelm2, the text on the emblem reads "Reigersvliet"

Sammy T.

Comment

Originally posted by RonR View Post
                          A WW2 themed plaque with fake decals from the 70's I am told....

all original ,someone lied to you decals are just painted as the rest

Comment

Originally posted by SammyT View Post
                            kaiserwilhelm2, the text on the emblem reads "Reigersvliet"

Sammy T.
                            Interesting. Reigersvliet is a location in Flanders which saw action during WWI.

Comment

For some reason I can not edit my previous post -

Interesting. Reigersvliet is a location in Flanders (near Stuivekenskerke) where fighting took place during WWI.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X