Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very unique 5 medal bar - Opinions Please

Greetings,
    I recently acquired this 5 medal bar and have noticed a few unique aspects to it and am looking for information and opinions.

First the and most obvious thing is the obviously done at home by his Frau attachment of the Honor Cross to the far right side of this medal bar. I know money was tight in the 1920's/1930's in Germany but this is embarrassing. Has anyone ever seen this done before? If so I would love to see some photos of it!

Secondly, I noticed that the Hungarian War Service medal has NO SWORDS on it. I have never noticed a medal like this before. Obviously for a Non-Combatant, is this a rare medal? In all my years of collecting I have never seen another one.

He popped for an updated ribbon bar but decided not to redo his medal bar?????

Thank you for any opinions of these irregularities,
    Vince
    Attached Files

The Hungarian without swords is uncommon but not unheard of. A nice bar. Updated in 1934 on the cheap.
    pseudo-expert

Comment

Wasn't that version of the red cross medal late 30s?(37 or so?) So, strange the hindy was left off the medal bar when constructed, but correct on the ribbon bar.

Comment

I would not be surprised if this bar belonged to an Austrian with the Hindy requested after the incorporation of Austria into the Reich.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiserwilhelm2 View Post
          I would not be surprised if this bar belonged to an Austrian with the Hindy requested after the incorporation of Austria into the Reich.
          Agree; that's likely it. Medal bar assembled before he was eligible for it.

Also notice the Austrian medal moved forward on the ribbon bar away from the foreign awards.

James

Comment

Well, definitelly it is NOT a common Medal Bsr. A very nice one.

Congratulations.

Best Regards

Antonio

Comment

Thank you to all who have responded. Perhaps the order of the ribbons on this ribbon bar were influenced by it being made in Austria as they too are out of order of precedence as well?

Comment

Originally posted by old siagon View Post
                Thank you to all who have responded. Perhaps the order of the ribbons on this ribbon bar were influenced by it being made in Austria as they too are out of order of precedence as well?
                I think that's correct; I seem to remember someone (here) remarking that after the Anschluss you sometimes see the Austrian ribbon(s) moved away from the foreign decorations at the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Sevrin View Post
                  I think that's correct; I seem to remember someone (here) remarking that after the Anschluss you sometimes see the Austrian ribbon(s) moved away from the foreign decorations at the end.
                  That is correct. After the Anschluss you can find medal bars that 'treat' Austrian medals as though they were those of a German state like f.e. Saxony or Wuerttemberg.

Comment

Originally posted by old siagon View Post
                    done at home by his Frau attachment of the Honor Cross to the far right side of this medal bar. Has anyone ever seen this done before?
                    Imperial isn't my area anymore, but I see this sort of thing on a semi-regular basis on soviet bars.
                    this ribbon bar were influenced by it being made in Austria
                    The medal bar has a Koln maker's tag and the ribbon bar make-up and hardware looks very similar. I assume there's only one Koln (and it's in Germany.)
                    Thanks,
                    Eric Gaumann

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Gaumann View Post
                      The medal bar has a Koln maker's tag and the ribbon bar make-up and hardware looks very similar. I assume there's only one Koln (and it's in Germany.)
                      Yes, however quite a few Austrians worked in or moved to Germany after the collapse of the AH-monarchy and this process lasted well into the thirties when the economy in Germany was booming.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X