Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help w/ Imperial medal

Hello folks,

I would certainly appreciate some info on this medal. I seem to remember that this is a Bavarian merit Cross. Correct?

For whatever reason, the ribbon came out much more yellow in my photos than it looks in person.

Any thoughts on value, rarity, etc. would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Calvin
    Attached Files
    -Calvin Hall, repressed Appalachian American.

Desperately seeking a Juncker Knights Cross ribbon loop and well used Knights Cross ribbon!!!

Here's the front...
    Attached Files

Desperately seeking a Juncker Knights Cross ribbon loop and well used Knights Cross ribbon!!!

Comment

Last edited by Bob Hunter*; 03-24-2005, 11:01 PM.

Comment

Calvin,

As we discussed, this may be rather rare. Hopefully Andreas (medalnet) will look at the photos, since we also talked briefly about it.

As I recall, the Military Merit Order originally had no swords. When swords were authorized, veterans of the Franco-Prussian War who were eligible often had to get them via private purchase - hence a variety of sword types, of which this may be an example.

Comment

ummmm.....

Start thinking 1866-1905 ONLY! The key here is NO flames between the cross' arms. Swords private purchase after the fact. Very rare. Very expensive. Very desirable. NICEST condition on one I have seen in a long, long time. Think PREMIUM......... I have seen 2, handled 1... both were chipped to hell.... both sold for serious $$ anyway. This is the hardest variation of this order to find, right up there with the Officer's Kreuz (pinback, with flames)... I've seen only 6 of those.
          NICE FIND!
          Oh yeah, it's actually the Militär-Verdienstkreuz des Militär-Verdienst-Orden

Comment

Yummy!

Now, that is a great find!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Danner
              Calvin,

As we discussed, this may be rather rare. Hopefully Andreas (medalnet) will look at the photos, since we also talked briefly about it.

As I recall, the Military Merit Order originally had no swords. When swords were authorized, veterans of the Franco-Prussian War who were eligible often had to get them via private purchase - hence a variety of sword types, of which this may be an example.
              Dave,

Yes, this is the very same one that we discussed. I now, finally, have it in my hands.

Calvin

Comment

Great find, Calvin.

Thanks for sharing.

best,
                Gerd

Comment

Calvin

Looks like you have yourself a real gem there! What sort of value could be put on it?

Rich
                  Interested in hand-stitched EM/NCO LW insignia and cuff-titles
                  Decorations of Germany

Comment

Last edited by Gerd Becker; 04-11-2005, 03:07 AM.

Comment

Check for hallmarks anywhere on the cross-- either on the suspension scrollwork, or maybe on the bottom arm rim.

This is the Military Merit Cross 1st Class Model of 1866, technically changed in 1905, but actually last awarded in 1901 for the Boxer Rebellion.

It was for enlisted ranks, despite the enamel.

Check VERY carefully that the spaces between the arms are smooth and professionally polished, and NOT that flames have been removed in a bit of thuggery to up the value.

Frankly, those are the FUGLIEST swords I have EVER seen. In 1891 swords were created and retroactively allowed for prior awards, to be provided at the wearer's own expense and by the wearer. So I suppose something as hideously home made as those MIGHT have been possible...

but I would certainly have expected a manufactured version--and post 1891 awards would certainly have been ISSUED with the usual "bound" Roman swords.

HOW are those swords attached? It is entirely possible that this is a perfectly good original MVK1 M1866, and that some dolt has "improved" them with the grotesque cutlery.

The ribbon is the final type as awarded during WW1 and not correct-- which makes me think some dimbulb may have "repaired" this to make it look (to him) like a WW1 cross. While I wouldn't toss the sheep shears, just in case, they are TRULY, TRULY FUGLY and detract enormously from this rare piece.

Comment

Rick,

Why don't you tell us what you really think about the swords! They are what they are, I guess.

Maker mark? Yes, one is found on the ring. I tried to photograph it as best I could.

Spaces between the arms have been professionally polished. Does not appear that the flames have been removed.

Swords appear to be sterling as they show plenty of tarnish. Swords are held in place by a thin wire that has a nail head on the reverse. The thin wire runs through the top motif as shown in attached photos.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Detail showing 'nail' head
                          Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X