Pour Le Merite, Wearers copy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pour Le Merite, Wearers copy.

I knew going in the chances of a real PLM or a wearers copy were doubtful. I low balled it and won. This tells me a lot right there. I didn't pay a lot and might keep it as an example of a PLM.

I've never seen a ribbon with 3 stripes on it. Again, I'm inexperienced at German Awards.

The Oak Leaves have 800 on the back.

The box is in excellent shape. Almost new on the outside. Used inside.

I have a "jewelers " copy I purchased years ago for a little less than I paid for this one. It is obviously just a repro and not a good one at that. I'm not sweatin' this one too much, but an expert opinion would be nice.
    Attached Files

Reverse

The back of the Oak Leaves are stamped 800.
    Reverse of the medal
    Attached Files

Comment

The Box

Bad picture of the box
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Mike and welcome to the forum.

Some better photos would be helpful but from what I can see you have a "Spanish Fake" PLM. Fake is a harsh word and you can also think of it as a collector's copy. The box is also a copy. Best guess is that these were made in the 1970s +/- a decade. Opinions differ but no one (serious) doubts they are postwar copies.

The thrice-striped ribbon is reserved for a PLM that is awarded with oakleaves at the same time. Oakleaves awarded later, as an additional honor, were worn on the traditional twice-striped ribbon.

If the ribbon is somehow wartime (only good photos can tell us that) then it is the most valuable part of your set.
        Best regards,
        Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Hello Mike,
          IMO the entire set is bad. Fortunate you do not have much $ in it.
          Kind regards,
          E.

Comment

Mike,

First off welcome to the WAF!

I see you have been posting a number of Imperial items but at the same time you state that you don't know a lot about German militaria.

Before spending any(more) money on trying items or trying to get a bargain I recommend you buy some reference books or, at least, spend time searching the WAF for examples of what original pieces look like. Once familiar with original pieces many of the fakes will be easy to identify. Imperial items were typically of very high quality that the fakes can not quite replicate.

Gary B
            ANA LM #1201868, OMSA LM #60, OVMS LM #8348

Comment

Originally posted by Erickn View Post
              IMO the entire set is bad.
              To me the ribbon looks like it might have an outside chance.

Only photos of this quality and detail can settle it:

It's the precise constitution, density and pattern of the weave that can tell us, along with the:
              • blacklight test
              • burn test
              • stretch test

So Mike: can you get superb macro photos of the ribbon?
              Best regards,
              Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

IMO when sellers start using terms like "Wearer's copy," "Jewellers's copy", ect
                that's just another term for reproduction and fake.

Comment

Originally posted by gregM View Post
                  IMO when sellers start using terms like "Wearer's copy," "Jewellers's copy", ect
                  that's just another term for reproduction and fake.
                  That’s not the case for S&L postwar made PLM‘s. Several vets actually wore them as replacements. So the term replacement piece makes sense to me.

Regards,
                  Alex

Comment

Originally posted by Alex W. View Post
                    That’s not the case for S&L postwar made PLM‘s. Several vets actually wore them as replacements. So the term replacement piece makes sense to me.

Regards,
                    Alex
                    I know that is true in a handful of cases. But 90% of the time it's just a way
                    to get people who have not done their homework to part with their money.

Comment

Respectively, I also, would like to see detailed images of the Ribbon/Band. I do not wish to sound negative but, so far not looking good.
                      repo PLM
                      repo Box
                      repo Oakleaves (122) granted during Great War, rare/scarce at best, Band seldom encountered.
                      Ribbon/Band edging is not what I personally, would expect from what I can determine in his image....For Mike's sake I hope it will deem original! Please provide additional detailed images.

Thank you in advance!
                      E.

Comment

more pictures

Hope this helps
                        Attached Files

Comment

More pictures

I will try to get better pictures of the ribbon shortly. Thank you to all
                          Attached Files

Comment

More pictures

Best I can do of the ribbon
                            Attached Files

Comment

More pictures

Best I can do, hope this helps, Thank you to everyone
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X