oorlogsspullen

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The crows feet frames. 1870 frame study.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The crows feet frames. 1870 frame study.

So, now the exciting moment has come. First results I'll share with you of what my study has revealed. It has been very time consuming work, but I'm dedicated to do my share for the common good. Today is my birthday as well, I decided to wait with the posting until today to celebrate it with sharing the first results

This thread will be about a frame version(s) which I have named the crows feet frame family, due to the shape of the inner corners.
    There seems to be two (2) different variations of this frame type.
    I've studied these frames by studying mainly bead counts, of course that might be difficult at times when the cross or frame die is very worn. Besides the bead counts, I've been looking for flaws or details that might be of help to tell them apart from one other easily.

I must thank everyone who have been willing to share pictures that I can use to the study.
    • Photo credits of the B-core to Green.
    • Photo credits of the A-core to Walther.

The photos have been slightly edited in order to highlight the beadings which are now in the main focus.

• Crows feet B-frame.
      A better frame, without major flaws and a smaller lug compared to the other frame. I've found this frame so far solely on B cored crosses.
    • Crows feet A-frame.
      A quite flawed frame with a large lug. I've found this type so far solely with an A core. Most (All I've seen so far) have had a quite distinctive flaw which can help to distinguish these two from one other.

Crows feet B-frame

First the B-cored Crows feet frame.
    I've begun my whole research with counting beads, but wear on frame and die might cause the count to vary with a few beads. But I used this method to put the crosses in categories so the comparing will be easier.
    These both crosses share the same amount of beads, but differ in a few ways.
    I've seen this frame only in B-cores so far, it's missing the large lug, that's found on the A-frame. It's also very unflawed, missing many flaws the A-frame has.

You can clearly see the inner corner beadings are shaped like crows feet, which has named this frame.

The Crows feet A-frame

The Crows feet A-frame, is almost identical in amount of beads to the Crows feet B-frame. is contrary to the Crows feet B-frame very flawed.
    This frame with a much larger lug, it's something I've only encountered so far in a Crows feet framed cross with an A core. The reason it's named the Crows feet A-frame is due to the A-core. (Why the Crows feet B-frame is named B-frame has the same logic).

I've squared some certain points in the frame, just to show a few places where flaws run on the frame.
    The differences are mainly the flaws, the large lug and a very distinctive flaw which runs almost outside the beadings, outside the upper right inner corner.

Naturally, this one has as well the crows feet inner corners.

Thank you for reading. If there are any comments, critic or praise, let me hear them
    I've tried to make this study as empirical I could, so I have repeated all results I've got on different crosses of the same variation to see if the things I say are legitimate.

More will follow, so far I'm soon ready with four (4) other frame types to fully cover them. Be patient.
    More will follow, I just need to figure out a smart way to present my results as all are not as obvious as these.
    I must as well ask people around if I can use their photos as reference photos here, so it will as well take time.

I would appreciate if an association member could attach these photos so they stay here on the forum for future reference

Nicely done

Comment

Originally posted by Dansson View Post
      So, now the exciting moment has come. First results I'll share with you of what my study has revealed. It has been very time consuming work, but I'm dedicated to do my share for the common good. Today is my birthday as well, I decided to wait with the posting until today to celebrate it with sharing the first results

I would appreciate if an association member could attach these photos so they stay here on the forum for future reference
      Daniel,
      Attach them yourself -- You will become a assoc member momentarily.
      Happy Birthday.

Comment

Originally posted by gregM View Post
        Daniel,
        Happy Birthday.
        Well done Greg!
        Ralph.

Comment

Originally posted by gregM View Post
          Daniel,
          Happy Birthday.
          Thanks Greg! I'll do it tomorrow when I've returned from my party

Comment

Good job.... Daniel

Comment

Thx for your work ! Nice done

Comment

Photos attached. I had to make them smaller in order to be attached.

Crows feet B-frame
                Attached Files

Comment

The Crows feet A-frame
                  Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X