Oldenburg non-combatant Cross 2nd Class opinions please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oldenburg non-combatant Cross 2nd Class opinions please

Recently purchased this cross and not convinced it is original. Compared to my combatant award, details are not the same. A thick coat of paint was applied when manufactured. Ribbon construction is not the same. Award is made of brass. Seller has a reference book indicating buntmetall is an accepted material.
    Attached Files

I'm not sure about the cross, but such a thick layer of paint, which partly filled the round of 9, is never seen on originals. Sloppy made, shining-new brass ring is not original, and ribbon is very suspicious too IMHO. I would return this piece to the seller.

Comment

I agree. Looks more like a post 45 manufacture.
      pseudo-expert

Comment

The details seem way too sloppy with along the weird paint.

These were usually made of Iron (I think I've seen a few legitimate brass examples).

Comment

Originally posted by Don D. View Post
          I agree. Looks more like a post 45 manufacture.
          Not just post-45, but brand new. There are quite a few of the Imperial state merit crosses, similar in quality to this that have started turning up on the market.

Comment

Originally posted by bolewts58 View Post
            Not just post-45, but brand new. There are quite a few of the Imperial state merit crosses, similar in quality to this that have started turning up on the market.
            I don't know if an database of all the originals exist, but if not, one should be made.

Comment

A data base would be helpful. I noticed my example in question has a pillow effect inside the arms of the cross. The surface slightly rises from the outer edge of the medal to the center of the arm. All other examples I have seen are flat all the way across.

Comment

There are lots of variations to this cross, this type is not a known original one.

Comment

Awarded originals were of blackened iron, late war also of blackened white metal (zinc alloy). Brass made crosses are rather private purchased second pieces or replacements.

2nd class on non-combatant ribbon was awarded only 1654 times (while combatnat version about 55.000)

regards
                  Tom

Comment

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X