Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WWI Non Combatant Pair

Purchased from MAS newest update.

Not a collector of Imperial Awards but buy Non Combatant awards when I see them.

My question to those that know.

Is the order of mounting correct or should it be the other way around.

Thanks

Wayne
    Attached Files

Looks good to me. A 2 place frack bar.

Comment

Frack Bar eh.

Didn't think of that.

Thanks,

Wayne

Comment

It's correct for a Frackbar, do you have a picture of the reverse?

Comment

Looks fine to me as well!

Comment

Reverse.

Wayne
            Attached Files

Comment

For several reasons, it doesn't look like a frack bar at all.

Before even seeing the reverse of the bar, it's clear that the ribbons are overlapping in the wrong direction for a frack bar. Also, the ribbons are NOT mounted at an angle as they should be for a frack bar.

The view of the reverse, however, shows the needle clasp on the wrong end for a frack bar. It should be on the other end (i.e. the whole clasp setup should be flipped around for a frack bar.)

On top of that, the convex ends of the bar's metal bracket are not trimmed at a slight angle as they should be for a frack bar.

I believe it is just an ordinary parade bar. Perhaps the person assembling the bar didn't know that the EK2 (regardless of being mounted on combatant or non combatant ribbon) is always in first position on a Prussian bar in accordance with Prussian regulations.

Definitely not a frack bar, however.
              Last edited by Gardereiter; 09-07-2017, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by triad08 View Post
                For several reasons, it doesn't look like a frack bar at all.

Before even seeing the reverse of the bar, it's clear that the ribbons are overlapping in the wrong direction for a frack bar. Also, the ribbons are NOT mounted at an angle as they should be for a frack bar.

The view of the reverse, however, shows the needle clasp on the wrong end for a frack bar. It should be on the other end (i.e. the whole clasp setup should be flipped around for a frack bar.)

On top of that, the convex ends of the bar's metal bracket are not trimmed at a slight angle as they should be for a frack bar.

I believe it is just an ordinary parade bar. Perhaps the person assembling the bar didn't know that the EK2 (regardless of being mounted on combatant or non combatant ribbon) is always in first position on a Prussian bar in accordance with Prussian regulations.

Definitely not a frack bar, however.
                I agree with all of these assertions and I also have the opinion that it is not a frack bar. The owner chose put the war-time help medal in front of his non-combatant EK2. The evidence that triad08 presented is all correct.

The question is why. Bytown realized this when he asked the question "should it be the other way around?" I believe the bar is correct and this is a period construction. The recipient of the medals chose this ordering.

So the question is why the recipient would put the medals in this order. He (or she?!!!) did. At this point, we can only speculate.

My guess is that the owner wanted to "down play" his EK2 award in favor of his wartime help service. Perhaps a doctor, that was more proud of his non-combatant service award (Kriegshilfe Kreuz), rather than his non-combatant version of a combatant award (EK2).

Comment

The things that got my attention are, the medals look "pulled" to the left a little. Like they've been hanging at an angle left. Also, the war aid cross ribbon has more wear on the left, like the medal rubbed on it for some time.
                  I do agree that it looks like a regular mount though.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your comments.

They are appreciated.

Wayne

Comment

-good one
                      -good decorations
                      -frack bar
                      -easier version without a trapezoid plate

Comment

If this is a crack bar, then surely the needle set up is the wrong way round?
                        Makes more sense that the mounted out them together the wrong way round.

Comment

This book came with the pair.

The person's last name is Fischer.

Can anyone decipher the first name?

Thanks,

Wayne
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by römischIX View Post
                            -good one
                            -good decorations
                            -frack bar
                            -easier version without a trapezoid plate
                            Definitely not a frack bar. The ribbons are not overlapping correctly and mounted at a slight angle the way they should be on a frack bar.

The needle set-up is wrong for a frack bar. It should be reversed.

Since when is a frack bar installed on a trapezoid plate? Typically, the plates are the general shape of a parallelogram.

Somebody please post a picture of a frack bar so romisch can see what a frack bar is supposed to look like.
                            Last edited by Gardereiter; 09-11-2017, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by triad08 View Post
                              Definitely not a frack bar. The ribbons are not overlapping and mounted at a slight angle the way they should be on a frack bar.

The needle set-up is wrong for a frack bar. It should be reversed.

Since when is a frack bar installed on a trapezoid plate? Never heard that one before.

Somebody please post a picture of a frack bar so romisch can see what a frack bar is supposed to look like.
                              That's my understanding of a typical frack bar: Medals angled - ribbon furls reversed (right over left) and the pin reversed so not as likely to slide off the coat.

Here's typical construction: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...&postcount=124

I have one 3 placer that has mounted reversed medals, but does not have reversed pin setup or reverse ribbons - not sure why:
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Sevrin; 09-11-2017, 08:05 PM. Reason: Add Photo Examples

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 12 users online. 0 members and 12 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X