Marian Cross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marian Cross

Hi Guys, Ive just purchased this Marian Cross, and would like some opinions.
    What are the makers marks?

Thanks
    Steve

Congratulations,

a fine piece, with the 2nd type ribbon and in its original case.

E.L.

Comment

Maker is C. F. (Christian Friedrich) Rothe & Neffe, so your cross is matching with the case.

This business exists also today (Kohmarkt 7, Wien)
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks guys, thats nice and reassuring.
        I dont know what it is about this cross, I've loved its appearance since I first saw one, and have always wanted one since, and this came up for sale. Its immaculate.
        Is there a website with the history behind it? Ive had a Google, but not really found much.

Comment

Originally posted by mahony View Post
          Thanks guys, thats nice and reassuring.
          I dont know what it is about this cross, I've loved its appearance since I first saw one, and have always wanted one since, and this came up for sale. Its immaculate.
          Is there a website with the history behind it? Ive had a Google, but not really found much.
          May be here ?

http://gmic.co.uk/topic/31096-marianer/

Comment

At the time a.k.a. the nobility dog tag.

Comment

The shop of Messrs. Rothe doesn't exist anymore... a great loss.

Now, there's the store -I don't remember exactly- of one of the well-known, international clothing brands.

The Kohlmarkt in Vienna lost many of its historical Geschäfte in that central street, from the Graben to Michaelerplatz: Rothe & Neffe, Artaria, an ancient stationery store, a "k.u.k. Hof-Bäckerei", etc.

Tomorrow, I'll be walking along that street, after having gone in Westbahnstrasse and pick up a Zeiss lens for my camera.

Best,

E.L.

Comment

Originally posted by Elmar Lang View Post
                The shop of Messrs. Rothe doesn't exist anymore... a great loss.

Now, there's the store -I don't remember exactly- of one of the well-known, international clothing brands.

The Kohlmarkt in Vienna lost many of its historical Geschäfte in that central street, from the Graben to Michaelerplatz: Rothe & Neffe, Artaria, an ancient stationery store, a "k.u.k. Hof-Bäckerei", etc.

Tomorrow, I'll be walking along that street, after having gone in Westbahnstrasse and pick up a Zeiss lens for my camera.

Best,

E.L.
                Right, I didn't noticed, that the picture was from the year 2000. Now I read, that Rothe was closed in 2005:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/C._F._Rothe_%26_Neffe

But A. E. Köchert am Neuen Markt is still working (at least I have seen them a month ago )

Comment

Very nice cross!

From the net:

"The Order had its origins in the time of the Crusades during the siege of Acre in 1190 with the establishment of a hospital for German soldiers but had largely disappeared when it was revivified in 1871 under Imperial patronage with first Archduke Wilhelm and then Archduke Eugen as High Grand Master as a prestigious award to encourage and support charitable work and voluntary hospitals and medical care in particular.

This decoration was not awarded after the fall of the Hapsburg Empire in 1918."

Another for comparison.....

Attached Files
                  RonR

Comment

ooo
                    Attached Files
                    RonR

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X