• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ww1 Tank Badge good or Bad?

here's the type 1 & type 2 Sepp Dietrich's badges made in Silver
    Attached Files

Ww1 Tank Badge good or Bad?

Hello i need an opinion about these Badge, its a good badge or Bad? thanks for Help.

Greets Sniper
    Attached Files

Comment

next
      Attached Files

Comment

2more
        Attached Files

Comment

more
          Attached Files

Comment

Looks good.

Comment

I've never seen a real one to compare with as its a very rare badge if original. So I can't help, but I'd be interrsted to know if this one is a good one.

Comment

The trouble is that the waters have been so muddied by the plethora of fakes and copies no one really knows what is good and what is not. Add to that the fake/copy examples have as much detail and quality as a period badge of that time , are often made from 800 silver and sport believable hardware to reverse. A very difficult and contentious subject, I agree this one looks believable but then again so do a million others ! Ferg

Comment

Does anyone know which companies made these? By comparing hardware, pins, hinges and catches could give a clue.
                  I've understood these were privatly purchased, but anyways there there can't have been more than a handful of dies and makers for this badge as so few were ever bought/handed out to the legitable owners.

Does anyone have a photo of Sepp Dietrich's badge?

Comment

Originally posted by Dansson View Post
                    Does anyone know which companies made these? By comparing hardware, pins, hinges and catches could give a clue.
                    I've understood these were privatly purchased, but anyways there there can't have been more than a handful of dies and makers for this badge as so few were ever bought/handed out to the legitable owners.

Does anyone have a photo of Sepp Dietrich's badge?
                    I had an original 30 years ago made by Meybauer. I think they were also made by Juncker.

Sepp Dietrich had 2 badges. He had "one-off" made (below left) with the skull looking to the right, similar to a Danzig skull, a larger AV7 tank, thinner wreath and wider across the middle, which you see him wearing in early pre-war photos. He must have taken this design from the award document badge, as it's exactly the same. WWII photos show him with a standard badge.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Brian L.; 07-14-2017, 05:59 AM.

Comment

Thanks for your opinions. The Badge is not magnetic and hollow, weighs 30g and has the measurements: 67,9x44,6 mm.

Best regards Sniper

Comment

Originally posted by bolewts58 View Post
                        I had an original 30 years ago made by Meybauer. I think they were also made by Juncker.

Sepp Dietrich had 2 badges. He had "one-off" made (below left) with the skull looking to the right, similar to a Danzig skull, a larger AV7 tank, thinner wreath and wider across the middle, which you see him wearing in early pre-war photos. He must have taken this design from the award document badge, as it's exactly the same. WWII photos show him with a standard badge.
                        Thanks for the answer.
                        I suppose the Meybauer made badge has the typical Meybauer pin or?

Comment

Originally posted by Ferg 1 View Post
                          The trouble is that the waters have been so muddied by the plethora of fakes and copies no one really knows what is good and what is not. Add to that the fake/copy examples have as much detail and quality as a period badge of that time , are often made from 800 silver and sport believable hardware to reverse. A very difficult and contentious subject, I agree this one looks believable but then again so do a million others ! Ferg
                          Quite so . I would not invest large sums in one thats for sure . Rob
                          God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Originally posted by Dansson View Post
                            Thanks for the answer.
                            I suppose the Meybauer made badge has the typical Meybauer pin or?
                            The one below has the Meybauer hardware. It looks good. But, there are some details I don't like. The one I bought in the 1980s was two piece, had pierced eyes, flat back plate and scroll bow ends typical of Meybauer flight badges rather than straight bow ends which are typical of Juncker badges.

Also, here is a genuine award doc showing the design used to create Dietrich's original badge compared with a fake doc that showed up on eBay a couple of years ago and sold for over 500 EUR.

The generally held belief that only 99 were awarded is I think incorrect. Although I have no documentation to prove it, I believe it was also awarded to members of the Freikorps KOKAMPF (KOmmando der KAMPFwagen) of the provisional Reichswehr, some of whom were former WWI tankers, but also included other Freikorps volunteers serving in armored cars and tanks from 1919-21 throughout Germany, Upper Silesia and in the Baltic. The badge wasn't authorized until 1921, near the end of the Freikorps period and first awards weren't made until 1922. It seems logical that awards would have extended to post war service during the period 1919-1921. Still, even if this is true, the awards would still have been in the low hundreds.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Brian L.; 07-14-2017, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Some light reading: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...light=dietrich
                              pseudo-expert

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                              X