X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I. Wagner 1914 EK 1?

Hi guys (those who remember me),
    A quick question, if you don't mind.

Has anyone seen a 1914 cross by Wagner and Sons using the old "I Wagner & S." stamp that was more commonly used on their 1870s?
    My memory is going, but the only ones I recall are letters, W&S, WS, WuS etc. etc.
    Regards,
    Bill

Never seen that... would be interesting.
    Best regards,
    Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Same here , never seen a 1914 marked that way.

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

And sew on loops. Something this particular could have done with the advert, now that I think about it.
          I saw a very nice Wagner 1914 at some point with the whole name spelled out, but just that once I think...

Comment

Just my opinion here but I wouldn' touch that cross. Loops added
            to make you think it's rare, fake patina and the Font is all wrong when
            compared to a period 1870 Wagner.

Plus that frame looks nothing at all like what I would expect to see in a Wagner.
            Just look at those big inner corners and thick heavy beading. Run away---fast.

Comment

Originally posted by gregM View Post
              Just my opinion here but I wouldn' touch that cross. Loops added to make you think it's rare, fake patina and the Font is all wrong when compared to a period 1870 Wagner.
              I agree. That one is not good.
              Best regards,
              Streptile

Comment

No no, I'm not looking to buy. The most I do these days is rehabbing really busted up EK2's, but I still look. This one was a first for me, but yes - it doesn't have the detail even close to my WS EK1.
                It's weird enough to intrigue me, that's all.

In other news, thanks for the replies. Good to hear from yuse guys [emoji12]

Comment

Just my opinion here but I wouldn' touch that cross. Loops added
                  to make you think it's rare, fake patina and the Font is all wrong when
                  compared to a period 1870 Wagner.

Plus that frame looks nothing at all like what I would expect to see in a Wagner.
                  Just look at those big inner corners and thick heavy beading. Run away---fast.

Yo, Greg - it's a 1914, not an 1870. That's why I posted it. No, an 1870 with detail like this, no no - but it is comparable to some other 1914s just not Wagners (and mostly ek2s).

Comment

Ditto. I would say a fantasy copy mixing 1914/1870 features. But clearly does not show quality as already very well stated previuosly

Comment

Originally posted by Bill M View Post
                      Yo, Greg - it's a 1914, not an 1870. That's why I posted it. No, an 1870 with detail like this, no no - but it is comparable to some other 1914s just not Wagners (and mostly ek2s).

Yes, I know.
                      Compare the frame of that cross to other Wagner 1914s It's not even
                      close. The loops are just fantasy items on 1914s and the patina is faked.

In all fairness when it comes to the maker's mark. IF Wagner were to do
                      the full I.Wagner & sons logo, it is possible that they might have updated
                      their font style in the 40 odd years between the wars. BUT really -- this cross
                      is a Frankenstein, doctored up to be something it's not.

Comment

this cross is a Frankenstein, doctored up to be something it's not.
                        I don't think it qualifies as a Frankenstein because no part is original in my opinion.
                        Best regards,
                        Streptile

Comment

Originally posted by streptile View Post
                          I don't think it qualifies as a Frankenstein because no part is original in my opinion.
                          +1

Comment

So no one has seen a 1914 1 with the 1870 "I Wagner."

My question was never about the authenticity of the cross in the photos.
                            The inside corners of the beading, though (maybe too) nicely crosshatched - are way too rounded for me, besides the substandard crown.

Comment

Bad bogus. Neither the frame, nor the core speaks for Wagner.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,722 at 03:33 AM on Today.

Working...
                              X