Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The frontkämpfer EK1 of my collection.

Collectors and friends of the forum,

It has been nice to see that the imperial section has had a lot of activity lately, and I find it great and would like to make a contribution that it would remain active and experience the sharing and discussions of items in the collections.

It's not very often I make threads where I show items I have, so I thought I'll begin to share them more frequently to the public, to keep the Imperial forum active with a nice presentation of course

Here's an Iron Cross 1.Class I picked up a few months ago from the 44th Künker eLive auction.

Somehow I instantly fell in love with the appearance of this cross.
    The repair on the catch, the early cracked (just up of the W) cast iron B14 core, the very beautiful engraving, the worn frame and the dark patina of the S-W marked Cross gave me the feel of a real "Frontkämpfer" EK1.

I can honestly say that this EK1 is "the EK1" of my collection despite it's damages (which in my eyes makes it better).

For the ones interested in the History, the engraving is Narew Juli 1915, (place and date) R.v.H. (the initials).

The Narew-Offensive was an offensive launched by the German army on the eastern front in July 1915 and resulted in a German Breakthrough. The German Army managed to cross the river of Narew (Poland). A piece of history from the lesser written front during World War 1.

I would appreciate comments and further discussion!

Reverse.

Comment

Engraving.

Comment

Wonderful cross and the period repair makes it even better. I have a few engraved cross attributable to the fighting in the East and find them to be amongst my favorites. Great stuff!

Comment

I love it!

Congratulations.
          Best regards,
          Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

I usually don't like repaired badges and orders but this one would definitely be an exception. It just screams, "Been there, done that."
            Dale

Comment

Hello Dansson,

A true veteran w/ tremendous historic character presenting very pleasing wear and patina to an early awarded EK. This one has it all. Now to identify R v H. Great cross, thanks for showing it.

Regards
              E.

Comment

Very nice.
                pseudo-expert

Comment

Beautiful cross Daniel!

Comment

Daniel,
                    Great cross and great photo ---Well done.
                    Like you, I like crosses that show their history.

Comment

Most excellent!

Comment

Originally posted by Stepdale View Post
                        I usually don't like repaired badges and orders but this one would definitely be an exception. It just screams, "Been there, done that."
                        Dale
                        My sentiments exactly.

Comment

Wow!

I didn't expect to get so many replies and such nice answers!
                          Thank you all, it for sure is a keeper.

Regardind the initials R.v.H., I tried to take a look to find anyone on battalion or on regimental level who had the fitting initials but without luck so far. I believe I might be able to find someone on company level if I found a decent list of officers in the units that participated in the battle of Narew.

Due to the small "v" I believe the recipient is a "von" and an officer as the nobles usually were officers. As it's aswell quite common to put rank instead of the first name on these engravings, it cluould be e.g. Rittmeister von R... or just his first name (which I'm a bit unsure of).

Lastly, I welcome other members to share in this thread examples of their own favourite "been there, done that"/"Frontkämpfer" cross. It can aswell be an engraved cross.

I'll be contributing with another thread in the following days as I am really taken by the interest in this thread and the nice responses I recieved.

Best regards,
                          Daniel

Comment

I would agree that the v is for von and the R is quite likely Rittmeister rather than his first name. Could make it even harder to find him though. Keep us posted in your search.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian R View Post
                              I would agree that the v is for von and the R is quite likely Rittmeister rather than his first name. Could make it even harder to find him though. Keep us posted in your search.
                              But it would narrow him down to Cavallry, I'll keep you informed if I find anything out.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,687 at 02:12 PM on Today.

Working...
                              X