Original WWI German Death Scroll Certificate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Original WWI German Death Scroll Certificate

Approx 20 inch by 28 inch death scroll with beautiful lithography of WWI Imp German soldier laying dead upon the field of battle with angel above. Dedication at bottom with original mailing tube all in shadow box which is period constructed.

Opinions and value please?
    Attached Files

condition

condition is beautiful with no foxing or water staining of poster. Mailing tube is hand cancelled and dated August of 1916. Award was 7 March 1916.

Approx value?

Comment

more

pics
      Attached Files

Comment

Mailer tube is often missing with these, do you have both ends, the caps?
        I see these for sale from around 30 up to 100 euro. Price is what your willing to pay but I don't see them sell for anything over 50 usually. Interestingly, most I have seen are for reservists of one kind d or another.

Comment

yes

Yes, I have both end caps
          and thanks for info

Comment

Price depends on the unit, date of death and what action he died in usually. A nice document regardless.
            pseudo-expert

Comment

I agree with Jesse and Don, when I was in Europe and by what I've seen at shows in the U.S., these generally go in the $50 range when nicely framed. IMO, having the original mailing tube in the original frame/shadow box could easily add another $25-50, so starting at a $100 sales prices and working your way down to the lower end of the scale couldn't hurt. Who knows, you might find a buyer who collects items from that reserve regiment or that battle and is willing to pay you a good price for it.
              Dale

Comment

Beautiful

Comment

Hi: I like your death scroll certificate ....I own two (2) of them.

One dated 30 Aug 1914 for a Reservist from the MG Kompanie of the 17th Infantry Regiment

Another dated 29 Sept 1914 for an Gefreiter from the 17th Infantry Regiment...the last has some damage but I didn't care. I purchased both when I was in Germany

Both of mine don't have the tubes....your's is very nice.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Don D. View Post
                    Price depends on the unit, date of death and what action he died in usually. A nice document regardless.

Agreed,

I have left them laying in the dealers table at EUR30, but have paid up to EUR200 for another.

We collect history not coins... bring me one to someone killed at Fleury in July-August 1916 and I will fill your hand with silver! ;-)

Or a German killed on the 1st day of the Somme.... or to Sturmbataillon members.....

Comment

They are very nice, colorful documents. I have one with the mailing tube but no end caps. The price estimates are in line with what I have seen.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X