Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saxon Medal Bar

Hello,
    Posting this for a friend who acquired several Imperial medal bars from an older collector many years ago, so no provenance unfortunately. This bar appears completely original to me, but we are trying to identify what the missing medal is. From looking at the ribbon charts, we know the last one is the Saxon-Meiningen War Merit Medal for combatants, but the first one is somewhat confusing. We think it could be the Saxon Long and Devoted Service Medal or the Saxon-Meiningen Lifesaving Medal, but can't tell for sure. Also, if possible, would like to know the maker of the EK2. I have always heard that some veterans reversed their EK2s as a sign of protest after the abdication of the Kaiser, is there any truth to this? Sorry for the quality of the photos, but they were taken hurriedly at night indoors under a desk lamp, so I did the best I could.
    Thank you,
    Dale
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Stepdale; 05-27-2017, 08:03 AM.

a
    Attached Files

Comment

b
      Attached Files

Comment

last photos
        Attached Files

Comment

The first band (small green, white, large green, white, small green) corresponds to the Albrechts-Orden Ritterkreuz. It is a Sachsen medal bar. With the Albrechts-Orden and it being a Sachsen medal bar the sequence RK, EK2, SM is perfectly correct. Very nice bar and worth completing/restoring.

Comment

EK2 H.J. Wilm?

Comment

Originally posted by kaiserwilhelm2 View Post
              EK2 H.J. Wilm?
              In my opinion it's actually a Meybauer with a quite uncommon core for the maker.
              Best regards,
              Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Originally posted by kaiserwilhelm2 View Post
                The first band (small green, white, large green, white, small green) corresponds to the Albrechts-Orden Ritterkreuz. It is a Sachsen medal bar. With the Albrechts-Orden and it being a Sachsen medal bar the sequence RK, EK2, SM is perfectly correct. Very nice bar and worth completing/restoring.

Excuse my confusion, but which of the following is it:

Saxon Order of Albert with Swords; Knight First Class 1914-1918
                Saxon Albert Order; Second Class with Swords
                Saxon Albert Order Honour Cross with Swords; Second Pattern (silver)

I know you said the RK so it's probably the first one, but it's so easy for a non-Imperial collector to get confused when dealing with the different state orders!

Thanks to you and Trevor for your help.
                Dale

Comment

Originally posted by Stepdale View Post
                  Excuse my confusion, but which of the following is it:

Saxon Order of Albert with Swords; Knight First Class 1914-1918
                  Saxon Albert Order; Second Class with Swords
                  Saxon Albert Order Honour Cross with Swords; Second Pattern (silver)

I know you said the RK so it's probably the first one, but it's so easy for a non-Imperial collector to get confused when dealing with the different state orders!

Thanks to you and Trevor for your help.
                  Dale
                  Hi Dale,

Basically take your pick as these three medals all had the same ribbon and basically are the same medal but just of a different grade. That said I would probably opt for RK 2nd class with swords which is the most common one (with a first class one I would expect a more elaborate medal bar), the least expensive and IMO better looking that the Albrechtskreuz. Reunited again it will be a beauty - one I would not mind having myself.

Cheers, W
                  Last edited by kaiserwilhelm2; 05-27-2017, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Thanks, W! I'll let him know and he'll be very happy to search for one to replace it.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,722 at 03:33 AM on Today.

Working...
                    X