WW1 Imperial German greatcoat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WW1 Imperial German greatcoat

Thoughts on this WW1 Imperial German greatcoat?
    Described as Bavarian....
    Attached Files

Details...
    Does it stand a chance? Looks to be in very very good condition which makes me suspicious...(and only small photos were provided in sales offer...)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by NickG; 05-15-2017, 10:52 PM.

Comment

Buttons...
      Attached Files

Comment

Sorry for the quality...Are these being reproduced like this? Does it stand a chance?
        It's priced at just under 400euro...
        Attached Files

Comment

It appears to be a good piece and a bargain. I've seen this for sale. It seems to have been sent for repair (of some sort) to the Bekleidungs Jnstandsetzungs Amt of the XI A.K.

Some have called this a Bavarian overcoat due to the gray collar, but this is also what the prior universal Ersatz Mantel looked like. Especially with that large collar. Seeing that it was "repaired", perhaps the new pattern buttons were part of the makeover.

Chip

Comment

Thanks for the information regarding the stamp meaning. There appears to be another B.A. stamp in the photo, which makes sense as the original one, when only some markings are show it is almost worse than having provided!

As for the coat itself, I assume that this one is earlier than the 1915 universal greatcoat adopted around the summer of 1915, in that this one was not made with the large inverted pleat in the back.....and other differences as well.

The references speak of a modified greatcoat introduced in early 1915 made of feldgrau (sometimes out of the old silver gray wool) with the partial lining....one inside pocket and no rear pleat.......so I suppose that the one in this thread is an example of that type coat.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X