Opionios sought on two medals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opionios sought on two medals

I'm hoping to get some opinions on two medals. They are supposed to be vergoldet Wurttemberg bravery medals. Here is the first medal. Note there is no signature below the portrait.
    Attached Files

Here is the second. I have the second in hand. It definitely is not cast. I have weighed it and it is almost identical in weight to my silver merit medal. This one has the signature under the portrait.
    Attached Files

Comment

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance.

Carl C

Comment

Hi,

according to informations on this webiste:

http://www.ehrenzeichen-orden.de/deu...ille-1892.html

original awarded pieces were of gold only (about 4200 awarded). All glided (vergolded) medals are private purchased replacements or medal bar pieces. Gold content was .980 at the begining of war, and sunk later to .585 and .385.

Both versions (also silver 2nd class ones) should have engravers name under portrait. So, the piece w/o name is probably a later replacement or just collectors copy.

greetings
        Tomasz

Comment

IMO there was also a silver version 1892 - 1918, with no engravers name under portrait. But I am not an expert, just have one with no engravers name and done some research.....

Comment

Originally posted by Green View Post
            IMO there was also a silver version 1892 - 1918, with no engravers name under portrait. But I am not an expert, just have one with no engravers name and done some research.....
            Sure, this version exists. Only the question, if it was also awarded in period.

I made a research in German forum (DGO) and found opinions, that medals without engravers name are privatley purchased replacements or Zweitstücke (second pieces) i.e. for medal bar.

greetings
            Tomasz

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X