Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Imperial EK2 - unmarked

Hi Guys

I picked this up about 5 years ago and was wondering if it looks all original and if there are any unique details that can point to a maker.

The back has a label on it, which I will post after a few opinions.

Many thanks for any feedback

regards
    Graeme
    Attached Files

reverse
    Attached Files

Comment

After researching on WAF, and checking out the different makers from the pinned thread, I notice that the crowns are not very detailed and the acorns are very distinct in their orientation.
      Regarding those two features it resembles an "ED" but mostly an "S" marked cross.
      I will dig mine out again and try to check the ring for any marks.

For those familiar with iron crosses how does the frame, core and ribbon look as originality goes.

best regards
      Graeme

Comment

No maker marks on the rings

Size is 43.5mm
        Weight 20.16g (without ribbon etc)
        Core is Magnetic
        Frame is Non-Magnetic
        Rings are Non-Magnetic

cheers
        Graeme

Comment

Wow, a hard crowd to please !

76 views and not a comment..

If any of you guys know an experienced collector of Imperial EK could you please PM them so that they may comment on my cross.

best regards
          Graeme

Comment

Hate to throw his name out without asking first, but streptile comes to mind - you might shoot him a PM.
            Dale

Comment

Hi Graeme, don't know how I missed this thread. Try comparing it to a KO cross in the data section. http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=263078
              d
              pseudo-expert

Comment

Thanks Dale

Will check out the thread Don . I think I went through most makers and felt the "S" marked were similar, but I may have missed that thread

cheers guys
                Graeme

Comment

Hey Don

Thanks for that thread, When I was trying to find a maker for my cross I must have checked the first few crosses in that thread which did not show the characteristics of mine, but since you pointed the thread out I see that there are a couple of cores that look very similar from post #59 onwards. They have the not so detailed crown and the acorn pattern. In fact the left acorn points upwards and not seen that detail on many crosses except the KO you pointed me to and the S type.

Here is the last pic I have of the reverse of the cross, and I do not know how this fits in with the scheme of things. The label looks original to me, so maybe the cross and medal bar were not originally together.

Any thoughts welcome

regards and thanks
                  Graeme
                  Attached Files

Comment

This core is generic, shared and used by many makers, so focusing on the core shape can only narrow down the number of known and unknown makers but not completely answer your question. So more important, though harder to "read", is the frame identification. This method will quickly rule out KO (Klein, Oberstein) from the list of suspects, because this maker used platform (hump) for soldering the jumpring, which is not present on the frame of your cross.

You are correct, maker S also belongs between usual suspects, but if I remember correctly, S has more curved shape of the frame. Another maker using this core and slightly wideframish design is the small "v".

Identification of unmarked WW1 cross can unfortunately end up, from known reasons, as a lifetime hobby. And even if you succeed quickly, all you get is in most cases - just a letter from the alphabet.

Nevertheless, I would be really happy with what it clearly is - nice single mounted cross in very good shape.

Comment

Thank you for the detailed information.

I also noticed the lack of "hump" for soldering the smaller ring to.

It is nice to have maker marked crosses but as with other badges, for me it is not important. Not being very experienced with imperial items I was more concerned with the lack of detail to the crowns and hoped that it looked to be an original core and frame. Which it seems to be.

I will check out the small "v" cross that you mentioned.

Thanks again
                      regards
                      Graeme

Comment

Hi Graeme,

Sorry I'm late to the thread but I just saw it. I can't give you a better analysis that Miro has done below:

Originally posted by Miro O View Post
                        This core is generic, shared and used by many makers, so focusing on the core shape can only narrow down the number of known and unknown makers but not completely answer your question. So more important, though harder to "read", is the frame identification. This method will quickly rule out KO (Klein, Oberstein) from the list of suspects, because this maker used platform (hump) for soldering the jumpring, which is not present on the frame of your cross.

You are correct, maker S also belongs between usual suspects, but if I remember correctly, S has more curved shape of the frame. Another maker using this core and slightly wideframish design is the small "v".

Identification of unmarked WW1 cross can unfortunately end up, from known reasons, as a lifetime hobby. And even if you succeed quickly, all you get is in most cases - just a letter from the alphabet.

Nevertheless, I would be really happy with what it clearly is - nice single mounted cross in very good shape.
                        Identifying a maker for an unmarked 1914 EK1 is more often than not impossible to do with any certainty. There are a few makers that are very distinctive, like KO or AWS or KMST for example, but for the most part Imperial makers cross-pollinated so much, sharing cores and frames and even reverse hardware, that unless you have a mark, or the cross is one of the "easy ones," you usually get just a guess. And, as Miro said, that guess is often just a letter in the alphabet, as so many makers' names remain unknown to us. Even one of the most common Imperial makers, KAG, is not yet identified, and the most common maker, KO, is only thought to be Klein und Quenzer, with some evidence but no proof to back up the claim.
                        Best regards,
                        Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Hi Streptile

Many thanks for your feedback. It is much appreciated.

Thanks also to all those that have replied, I will have a couple more to show shortly.

best regards
                          Graeme

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X