• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

reverse...
    Attached Files

Comment

Propaganda Iron crosses

Hi. These crosses have a lot of weird tales attached to them. The truth is rather more mundane, they were sold to raise money for worthy causes and also to mock German 'Kultur' & the Iron Cross. I will try & post an image of my own examples. Most originate in the UK, though I've seen an American & Australian version. Prices should be low but on ebay they often go for stupid money. I've heard that they were dropped on German trenches, pinned to German corpses & hung on their barbed wire. Commonsense dictates that most of this is nonesense, would you risk your life doing this? There are many types/sizes & little is known. An article did appear in a metal detecting mag in about 1997, but I know of no other articles. Mike

Originally posted by Dr Rod Oakland
      In the superb book, "Iron Time", there is a reference on page 222 to crude iron crosses being dropped over German lines in WWI. The crosses have a "W" and a Christian cross (the sort one might see on a grave stone) in the centre and the names of Belgian and French towns, where the German were accused of committing atrocities, round the edge. Does anyone have any information about this - where, when, how etc.. Also are there any book references to this event.

Comment

I was told once (on this forum I think) that my cross here, was a 'propaganda' piece. I never quite knew what that meant. what do you guys think?
        regards
        jon
        Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Hello,

Here are 2 pictures of my non-standard Iron Crosses.

The smaller one is similar to that at the top of page 222 in The Iron Time, but Christ knows what the bigger one was for, it's 75 mm across and about 4 mm thick (that's about 3 inches across).

If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Tony
            Attached Files
            Last edited by ynot; 11-18-2004, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Here's the big fat one.

Tony
              Attached Files

Comment

Hello Jon,

There's one very similar to your cross in The Iron Time on page 168.

It says it is probably a French propaganda cross which shows the Napoleonic Imperial French crown on the obverse and the correct Prussian crown on the reverse.

Tony

Originally posted by tinmantis
                I was told once (on this forum I think) that my cross here, was a 'propaganda' piece. I never quite knew what that meant. what do you guys think?
                regards
                jon

Comment

Cross

Originally posted by Dr Rod Oakland
                  In the superb book, "Iron Time", there is a reference on page 222 to crude iron crosses being dropped over German lines in WWI. The crosses have a "W" and a Christian cross (the sort one might see on a grave stone) in the centre and the names of Belgian and French towns, where the German were accused of committing atrocities, round the edge.
                  Is this it?
                  Attached Files

Comment

Also produced with the names of certain English towns which were subject to attack, including, some of these cast crosses were produced with a design on both sides, others on one side only. They were sold as patriotic souvenirs in Britain, German "Kultur" was mocked during WWI & WWII as symbolic of brutality & murder.

I've got 3 of these things, I'll dig them out & scan them.

Comment

Originally posted by leigh kitchen
                      They were sold as patriotic souvenirs in Britain, German "Kultur" was mocked during WWI & WWII as symbolic of brutality & murder.

I've got 3 of these things, I'll dig them out & scan them.
                      Hello,

Carrying on from what Leigh was saying, here a paper packet belonging to these crosses. If you can read the packet you'll know the reason for them being issued.

Tony
                      Attached Files

Comment

Reverse of packet
                        Attached Files

Comment

For Kulter

Wow thanks guys, theres been one of those "kulter cross's" for sale in a antique store near my house for five years now, and ive never known what they are.

Are they worth much there asking 50.00 dollars for the one they have?

Thanks

Dan Plomish

Comment

Hello Dan,

I don't know the exchange rate for Canadian Dollars but people seem to ask for what they think they can get. I got mine very cheap, the large one was 5 Marks (years ago) and the smaller one was 10 Euros (4 x the price of the larger one), but I bought that a couple of years ago. I would think that something like the one in post 16 could cost a bit more. Well, I'd be prepared to pay a bit more for it.

Tony

Comment

That's a nice piece...the Russians made something simliar in WW2..although I think the Russian version is copied.

John

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X