Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Silber vergoldet??

Fellow Collectors,

Attached are front and reverse pictures of a Wurttemberg merit medal. The owner says it is silver with a gold finish. I think it probably is looking at the wear on the high points of the medal and the gold finish remaining on the low points. What are your opinions? Please let me know.

Thanks.

Carl C
    Attached Files

Hmmm, difficult to say on this one, its possible, but I would pass - just could not feel comfortable enough. However in hand it might be more obvious.

Comment

Hi,

I suppose, that this is rather a silver one, with goldish patina. Please compare with these both from my archives (gold & silver classes)

greetings
      Tomasz
      Attached Files

Comment

a modern one. silvered with golden finish

Comment

Looks like a silver one that has been chemically cleaned by dipping.
          The chemical dip strips the surface microscopically and alters the surface composition of the silver alloy. The subsequent patina shows as a brownish tone. Silver that hasn't been chemically cleaned will patinate to that desirable bluish tone astute collectors love to see.
          An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

The picture posted by Tom press shows a beautifully patinaed silver medal that has not been dipped. Look and learn.
            An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,722 at 03:33 AM on Today.

Working...
            X