Order of the Iron Crown 2nd class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Order of the Iron Crown 2nd class

I have this Iron Crown. The ring is clearly marked with A for Wien and what with a little imagination would be a goat and 3 for 18ct. FR for Rothe. The mark on the cross is blurred like hell. Could it be something else considering the ring is made of gold?

Weight is 33gr.

Comment

I don't know much of these but that award is beautiful!

Comment

For me, the hallmark in award itself looks clear Gemsenkopfpunz (yes, it is goat head), which is gold.

edit: One thing I am wondering in this though, is the size of ring. It seems to be "too big" - I wonder if that has been replaced? Ring in EKO usually is much smaller than that one.
        Last edited by avensis2000; 03-11-2017, 08:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by avensis2000 View Post
          For me, the hallmark in award itself looks clear Gemsenkopfpunz (yes, it is goat head), which is gold.

edit: One thing I am wondering in this though, is the size of ring. It seems to be "too big" - I wonder if that has been replaced? Ring in EKO usually is much smaller than that one.
          Also reacted to the ring. First one I've seen that were this big. But it's clearly marked by Rothe. So I think it would be original?

Comment

So big ring it is typical for the 1st class

Comment

Originally posted by tompress View Post
              So big ring it is typical for the 1st class
              Didn't even think about that. It's 75mm from the bottom to the tip of cross on the crown. Having problem to find measurements. Seems to be quite a lot of variations.

Comment

Yes, really very few variations, of all classes.

A good book about orders of Austrian Empire is expected already in April (by Militaria Verlag in Vienna)

greetings
                Tomasz

Comment

Compares well with this one. Except the one in the link has a repaired eagle claw holding the apple.

https://www.dorotheum.com/auktionen/...bjects=1&img=0

Comment

Waf-member Peterm will know. Maybe Pm him?

Absolutely stunning piece!

Comment

Originally posted by kaiserwilhelm2 View Post
                      Waf-member Peterm will know. Maybe Pm him?

Absolutely stunning piece!
                      I'll do that. Thanks.

Comment

I believe it's 1st Klass also - I just didn't even think about that option first at all for some reason.

That big ring usually can be seen only on 1st klass.

Klingbeil's book (4th band) has similar looking ones on page 254 (with KD) and 261 (without KD)

Enzo and Peter can say something about the size of award itself, but seems to be 1st klass anyway.

Comment

HI guys!

Looks like a nice first class to me too from these pics! No problem with the "big" ring.

Kind regards, Peter

Comment

Originally posted by peterm View Post
                            HI guys!

Looks like a nice first class to me too from these pics! No problem with the "big" ring.

Kind regards, Peter
                            Thanks, Peter. Would you say that the cross also bears the Gemsenkopf as the ring?

Comment

For comparison pic here:

In my opinion clear Gemsenkopf. The number looks distantly to be "4", which in my (non-confimed) opinion means 14 or 13 carats. If it's 3, then it's 18 carats.

Of course if would help if you can get a more clear shot of the hallmark.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X