2 EA1's from Braunschweig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 EA1's from Braunschweig

The top one is indubitably correct. The lower one is the one I can't quite fathom. I haven't seen a lot of repros of this item and the one in question is very well made in the 30's style. It has the sport badge style pin assembly with the leaves painted black. Either it is some 30's commemorative piece or it is a '57 type reissue with a 'bastler' paint job. It is made of a pale bronze or brass.

Opinions? Many thanks!

Bottom piece has that ' lemon-yellowish bronze' finish that is predominant on many early 3rd Reich items.

Comment

I just checked the January 1939 Steinhauer & Lück catalog, which uses engravings faithfully copied from photos of their actual products, and no match for that specific maker. I tend to agree it looks more 1930s than post-WW2.

Comment

Any opinions on this cross?
        Attached Files

Comment

Back:
          Attached Files

Comment

I think that looks like a WW1 cross that some @#*^%$#* has polished all the beautiful oxidyzed Made That Way chocolate finish off and its patina has not been able to recover.

Comment

Here is a scan from the S&L catalog that Rick talked about.
              Greg
              Attached Files

Comment

Hi,

Here are 3 more for you to compare with. The boxed one I think is WW1 vintage (the darkened example sitting next to the box), the Meybauer marked example is probably 20s or 30s (the maker's mark is present but not visible - if you know Meybauer main pins you'll know which one it is) and the other one is probably of Third Reich period construction (unmarked though).

Eric, I haven't seen one with that type of hinge/pin/catch assembly but I know this type of assembly is found on items other than sports badges (1939EK1s, Spanish Crosses, Spanish pattern Wound Badges to name a few, however I've heard mixed opinions regarding the authenticity of these items). It doesn't look like a 57er though.

Regards
                Mike K

http://members.iinet.net.au/~datumge...-obv-x200a.jpg
                http://members.iinet.net.au/~datumge...-rev-x200a.jpg
                Regards
                Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Just got this vaulted example:
                  Attached Files

Comment

Back:
                    Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X