Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meissen regimental plate with image of the helmet

Hi!

This summer was found Meissen regimental plate with image of the helmet.

it is rare or not, and what is the price for it (very good condition).
    Attached Files

Photo
    Attached Files

Comment

Photo
      Attached Files

Comment

Photo2
        Attached Files

Comment

Not Imperial.

It's a Freikorps/Reichswehr commemorative plate that covers the evolution of Saxon regiments from 1919-1921.

Brigade Süd-Litauen (Southern Lithuanian Brigade) was a Freikorps formed from 46. (Sächs.) Landwehr-Division and which fought in the Baltic from 1919-20.

On the sides are Gr.-Jg.-B. + Roman numerals which refer to Grenz-Jäger Bataillonen, which were a group of Saxon Border Defence Batallions raised in early 1919 sometimes referred to collectively as Freikorps Michaelis which were disbanded and rolled into Reichswehr Inf. Regt. 37 and 38 in 1919/20.

The 11. (Sächs.) Inf. Regt. was formed on January 1, 1921 from the Transitional Reichswehr (Übergangsheeres) Infantery Regiments 37 and 38. The regiment got the 'Sächs.' (Saxon) designation on May 29, 1922. So this plate was made sometime after that. 11. (Sächs.) Inf. Regt. was commanded at this time by Oberst Bock von Wülfingen who later became a Wehrmacht Major-General.

The helmet is a Reichswehr helmet with the half green, half white state shield of Saxony worn from late 1920 to 1933 and the wreath is the Reichswehr cap badge instituted from June 1919 onward.

That is a lot of early post-WWI Saxon army history packed into one regimental plate. I find it really interesting.

I would think it's a hard to find piece and being Meissen, has some value. If I had to guess a price, I'd say 250-350 EUR. But, it's not my area, really. So, I could be low.
          Last edited by Brian L.; 01-23-2017, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Thanks for answer

Comment

Very cool plate - and thanks Bolewts for his encyclopedic explanation!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X