Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any way of identifying this soldier

Hi

Amongst my items, I have the following photo of a German soldier from The Great War.

I also have, supposedly, his EK1, EK2 and Legion of Honour Medal (the dealer I bought them from assured me they all came together). I had to change the ribbon on the LoH medal as it fell to bits and I only had an Austrian substitute at the time.

The EK1 is below the photo with the EK2 and LoH being directly to the right of that.

Other than him being German, is there any way to identify a unit/regiment?

Thanks in advance

[IMG][/IMG]

Please post a good pic of that photo you have - that may tell us something.

The awards are all generic - except for the Baden one.

P.S. I kind of doubt that (all) these medals belonged to one and the same individual.
    Last edited by kaiserwilhelm2; 01-23-2017, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Nice

Nice medals. He is from Prussia. The shoulder boards can maybe give a clue.
      If visualble. Could have a number.

BR
      Nicolai

Comment

Thanks guys.

Will put up a better image of him tomorrow 👍

Comment

I think I may have cracked it.

Did a high resolution scan of the photo and rotated it. Then I used some different filters to make out the numbers on his epaullette.

So, I'm thinking the numbers are 49. From a quick search on google, I found the 49th Reserve Division

*Edited to remove content following bolewts post above

Last edited by Jamie7d7; 01-24-2017, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Not a '49' but a 'caduceus' meaning he's likely a doctor. See attached boards and note the similarity.

Also the photo was taken in 1921 or after because he's wearing the Deutsche Ehrendenkmünze des Weltkriegs on his medal bar.

I doubt the Baden bar is his. Or, he'd be wearing the Baden medal in the photo.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Brian L.; 01-24-2017, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Good call, it's funny how your eyes can sometimes see what you want them to see. To be honest I would never have guessed doctor once my mind had the "49" in it!

The other medals are just in my collection, the medals that he wears are the ones I have, they are all just in the frame together.

Now, to trace a Prussian doctor in the German army with a moustache and glasses ha ha!!

Comment

Small correction it is the rod of Asclepius and therefore an Asclepius not a Caduceus.

"It is relatively common, especially in the United States, to find the caduceus, with its two snakes and wings, used as a symbol of medicine instead of the correct Rod of Asclepius, with only a single snake. This usage is erroneous, popularised largely as a result of the adoption of the caduceus as its insignia by the U.S. Army Medical Corps in 1902." (Wikipedia)
                Last edited by kaiserwilhelm2; 01-24-2017, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Hi Jamie and welcome to the forum. You show some nice items.

Originally posted by Jamie7d7 View Post
                  I had to change the ribbon on the LoH medal as it fell to bits...
                  The impulse to replace soiled or damaged ribbons is an illness endemic to the British Isles that, thankfully, has not yet spread across the Channel.

Let's try to keep it that way.

Thousands -- even tens of thousands -- of good British groupings and medals have been rendered half-fake by this plague
                  Best regards,
                  Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

I normally leave every medal as it is when I receive it. On this occasion though, to call the remnants that were attached a 'ribbon' would have been an insult as it was a few shreds of thread 👍

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,764 at 12:35 PM on Today.

Working...
                    X