Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with this WWI German tag

Hi all,

Asking for help again on another tag I picked up on eBay recently.

I found two results for a veteran by the same name and from the same area in the verlustlisten. See here.

http://des.genealogy.net/search/show/7514998

http://des.genealogy.net/search/show/8060866

My questions are, is this the veteran of the dog tag I have? Are both of those entries of the same veteran?

Also, can anyone identify the soldiers unit on dog tag?

Sorry for all of the questions. I am brand new to German dog tags. More of a US tag collector.

Thanks all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

From what it looks like, the veteran listed in the books was wounded in 1917 and later died of wounds in 1918?

Comment

Here is the grave record for the veteran in question. Same veteran as tag?

http://www.volksbund.de/graebersuche...f31489d736d4c1

Comment

The Wiki Verlustenliste says he was lightly wounded in one listing and then he is listed again as "died from his wounds" on the same day (14.4.1918).

This would have been his training identification tag, which was likely replaced by his field unit tag.

Chip

Comment

Originally posted by Chip M View Post
          The Wiki Verlustenliste says he was lightly wounded in one listing and then he is listed again as "died from his wounds" on the same day (14.4.1918).

This would have been his training identification tag, which was likely replaced by his field unit tag.

Chip
          Chip,

Thanks for the reply. Wouldn't he have died 14.4.1917 though because the first listing is from 1917?

And do you think this is the same veteran? He is listed as being from the same area with the same name as the tag is marked. I just don't know how to be sure.

Thanks for the help!

Comment

Believe it or not, there were numerous soldiers with this name on the Verlustenliste, but only one from this village in the Helmstedt district.

Chip

Comment

Believe it or not, there were numerous soldiers with this name on the Verlustenliste, but only one from this village in the Helmstedt district.

Chip
              Ok so this was likely his tag then?

Comment

Yes!

Comment

Ok and how do you know the numbers beside the names are dates of casualty? I tried to cross reference this with the actually death dates of others listed and they don't match up at all. Sorry for all of the questions!

Comment

For example here is an example I found a few pages over from it. It has an actual date along with the number sequence after name?

Comment

I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but I can tell you that these dates can be wrong on occasion. Very often a man was wounded, but died the next day or sometimes months later from that very same wound. The soldier's families could be given the date of the wound or the actual date of death. I find in comparing unit listed death dates with those on soldier's Sterbebilder, that they are frequently off by a day. As to which one is correct, I cannot say, so I just note that there is an alternate date given for the particular soldier.

Chip

Comment

I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but I can tell you that these dates can be wrong on occasion. Very often a man was wounded, but died the next day or sometimes months later from that very same wound. The soldier's families could be given the date of the wound or the actual date of death. I find in comparing unit listed death dates with those on soldier's Sterbebilder, that they are frequently off by a day. As to which one is correct, I cannot say, so I just note that there is an alternate date given for the particular soldier.

Chip
                        Chip,

I was just saying how It maybe didn't look like the "14.4" was a casualty date. As I looked at other men marked as dead and none of the dates marked were even close to actual death dates from what I found, that's all. But I'm probably just overthinking things.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X