Captured German Aviation Photos From Palestine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Captured German Aviation Photos From Palestine

Jason sent me these two to post, captured by an AIF soldier.

Caption on this one "German Seaplane landing at Haffa."

If anyone can ID type plane etc please let us know. I have prodigious quantities of unit material from 20 years of Bunde der Asienkämpfer magazines 1919-38, so should be able to figure out what UNIT this was, but that will take me a while to flip through (brittle newspaper pages). Wanted to post these first for your enjoyment.

This one says "A group of German mechanics at a German drome at Haffa."

I think this one is an Albatross? The mounted Turk is a Gendarme. The white canvas (?) boots are interesting-- tropical or ??? Never seen these before.

Thanks Jason!!

Comment

These photos can be dated between October 1917 and September 1918, when the front had been brought back and stabilized here. They were not taken during the rainy season of January/February 1918.

The unit assigned for coastal protection and observation from Haifa to the Sea of Galilee at this period was Fliegerabteilung 302. There were rarely more than 3 aircraft servicable at any time, and in July 1918 for a while there were NONE flying.

There were no German seaplane bases closer than Turkey itself-- though lone machines like this one went out on epic recon patrols as far as Cyprus to spy out British intentions. It must have limped into Haifa on fumes for refueling, though presence of naval ground crew suggests that this was an established refueling and maintenance point for return flights.

Comment

Hi Rick!

Could you email me a a scan of your Fliegerabteilung in Palästina...or upoad to this thread......

...i would be very much - extremely obliged on any more photo and documents relating to Fliegerabteilung 300 301 302 303 304b in Palästina..
        as you staed from your Bund Der Asienkämper.

Kind regards

Raschid

Fliegerabteilung

Comment

Fliegerabteilung 300 301 302 303 304b in Palästina

Hi Rick!

Could you email me a a scan of your Fliegerabteilung in Palästina...or upoad to this thread......

...i would be very much - extremely obliged on any more photo and documents relating to Fliegerabteilung 300 301 302 303 304b in Palästina..
          as you staed from your Bund Der Asienkämper.

Kind regards

Raschid

Comment

Rick doesn't post here anymore. Try here: http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?act=idx
            pseudo-expert

Comment

......thanks Don....i appreciate your advice.

Raschid

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X