Copper colored EKII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copper colored EKII

What do you guys make of this EKII? It is very copper colored as is the ring? Same size as a normal EKII. It appears to be two pieces stamped and fastened together...so no core. You can see the seams in the last picture.
    Attached Files

Pic 2
    Attached Files

Comment

Pic 3
      Attached Files

Comment

Anyone?

Comment

This is a two-piece brass EK2.

There are a few types and their purpose is currently not known. Some believe they were souvenirs made in France/Germany/Belgium etc., some believe they were medalbar pieces intended for wear, some believe they were theatrical pieces, some think they are postwar fakes.

There is no real consensus about when or why of for whom these were made. But they are known, and I have one identical to the one you show.
          Best regards,
          Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Streptile....thanks for the info. I picked up a large collection that included EKs, DKs, Oakleaves and a RK. 40 plus pieces all together. It was a package deal and I knew some of the items were bad and suspected others may be....so I priced it accordingly. Now I am sorting through it to confirm and/or find out what I have.

I appreciate your help and will continue posting pieces.

Thanks,
            Kevin

Comment

I agree what Trevor said.

In my own opinion, this cross is a bit suspicious as it reminds a lot of a KO and the details are not so sharp on the beadings. something doesn't feel very right on this one IMO.

This are just my thoughts, as the theatrical brass EK2's I have seen before have been a bit different.

Comment

I have heard that brass EKI crosses were for naval awardees against salt water. How true this was or just an excuse given by fake maker's crosses

Comment

Originally posted by pzrwest View Post
                  I have heard that brass EKI crosses were for naval awardees against salt water.
                  That's just a legend, like the story that non-ferrous crosses were awarded to Luftwaffe personel, that it wouldn't mess around with the compasses and other electronic equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by kpaintner View Post
                    I knew some of the items were bad and suspected others may be....so I priced it accordingly.
                    I wouldn't call this piece "bad." Most people believe it's a period piece (including me). The dispute mainly centers on what its exact purpose was.

Here is mine, which is identical to yours, I think:

DSCN7242.jpg

DSCN7243.jpg

Mine came with its "original" ribbon, which looks to be a period ribbon made much like the cross -- i.e., close to the original, but not quite right. I'll get some pics up later.

I think the value of these things is not any different from a standard unmarked period three-piece EK2, maybe about $60.
                    Best regards,
                    Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X