Juncker marked cliche pilot's badge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Juncker marked cliche pilot's badge.

I just found these photos of a cliche Juncker pilot badge. What is unusual is that yhe badge has yhe Juncker trademark on yhe reverse. It's a bit hard to see but you can make it out.
    I got this badge many years ago and foolishly let it go for something I no longer remember or have for that matter. I have not seen another one since. The lessons we learn in our collecting journey.
    Any and all comments welcome. Thanks.
    Tony
    Attached Files
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Closeup of mm.
    Attached Files

Comment

Damn! Taking a nap.

Comment

Let's try it again....
        Attached Files

Comment

Much better.....
          Attached Files

Comment

Hello Tony:

Unfortunately the Juncker marking is really difficult to read. But the “R” of the mark of the reverse has caused a clearly visible dent on the obverse of the badge.
            This might be the reason why Juncker stopped directly marking the single hollow produced Pilot and Observer Badges (except the single hollow Air Gunner Badge).

Andy

Comment

The mark may have been added , but the previous explanation may be correct . I might call this a first issue badge.
              I always was of the assumption the mark was reserved for silver badges with a backing plate , and most first issue versions in most cases are not marked .( I suppose you don't recall who chinga'd you on this one who might still have it ? If so, maybe it could be tested to see if it is made of silver.)
              If not you probably weren't an imperial collector at the time.
              I agree.... It IS unusual .

I posted a L/12 condor tank badge years back (purchased from a veteran just after WW2) that also was dented on the front of the badge at moustasche level on the skull that was a hollow back , so it just may be . (could it be a post ww1 transitional replacement badge ??) I dunno.....but we all want one now, and this evidence supports Andy Ks's comment , and my comment is the same as others said at that time in the condor badges case I still have)
              Good theory Andy, ....makes sense ......and, Because of your diligence Tiger 1 ( that is post traumatic in nature) , ... we will all pay closer attention in the future . Good thread .
              Last edited by juoneen; 09-25-2016, 07:21 AM.

Comment

As far as I can see it is not a Juncker badge. Certainly doesn't have the same characteristics...look at the road for example and compare it to a known original Juncker badge.

Rich.
                Interested in hand-stitched EM/NCO LW insignia and cuff-titles
                Decorations of Germany

Comment

Certainly not out of the Juncker dies but from the square punch maker. Ferg

Comment

Hello Tony:
                    Please post a picture of the reverse of the badge with the closed pin. Thanks.
                    Andy

Comment

Like Ferg said:
                      Square punch design versus Juncker mark => fake, imho!
                      Two more things @ juoneen:
                      - I have not seen a hollow Juncker example with a makers mark so far.
                      - The mark for silver was "halfmoon and 800" on Juncker badges - no need for testing here.
                      I think its ok not having this specimen in ones collection...
                      Regards
                      Hagrid

Comment

Today I have looked at the stamping of the pilot badge. I agree with Ferg that this badge is not a production of C. E. Juncker, but by the square punch marker Carl Dillenius.

I cannot see any points on this pictures indicated that this badge is a fake. The only thing what gives me food for thought is the marker mark Juncker on a Carl Dillenius badge.
                        This makes no sense to me, because as far as I know Juncker produced all its badges in own workshops.

Andy

Comment

A few things worry me about this badge (without including the Juncker MM). Firstly the pin style is wrong for a square punch badge, it seems to be a semi-hollow type strike from the soft looking detail of the reverse.Secondly the front detail seems a little ' casty ' in certain areas ,more precisely , the ragged line of the underside of the aircraft fuselage and the ragged pock marked appearance of the crown base rim. The whole thing seems a little shaky ! Ferg

Comment

Thanks guys.
                            Very interesting info and discussion.
                            These are the only two Images I have of this particular badge as it has moved on many years ago, perhaps in the late 80's or early 90s.
                            Tony

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,687 at 02:12 PM on Today.

Working...
                            X