Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Imperial Private Purchase Bayonets

Hi,
    I am interested in finding out more about Imperial German private purchase bayonets and wonder if anyone can suggest any relevant books, articles, sites or links to this subject ?

I already have the excellent Lubbe book German Sidearms and Bayonets vol 2. and Anthony Carter’s ‘German Bayonets’ books, but surely there must be more ?

In particular I am looking for information on the WW1 KS98 style bayonets bought by officers when they were ordered to send their swords home and wear the regulation S98/05 ‘butcher’ bayonet.

It seems very few actually did wear this bayonet and instead opted to buy the non regulation KS98 bayonet and knife models offered by the Solingen cutlers.

Thanks,
    Cooky

Cooky,

My book, "Seitengewehr: History of the German Bayonet 1919-1945", covers postwar conversions of Imperial bayonets but probably is not what you are specifically looking for. Try "The German S84/98 Bayonet Volume 1: 1908-1933" by Bruce Karem as it has some nice Imperial private purchase bayonets of this model illustrated. Try also, "German Etched Dress Bayonets (Extra Seitengewehre) 1933-1945" by Wayne Techet for later versions of the private purchase KS98.

Many different private purchase versions of the S98/05 exist but I know of no book that is specific to that model of bayonet.

Comment

Thanks Schupo,
      I already have your most excellent book and Wayne Techet’s.

Finding a copy of Bruce Karem’s book is going to be a challenge, finding one at an affordable price an even harder challenge I think !

I have found out that the book ‘The Bayonet – An Evolution and History’ by Evans & Stephens has a chapter on dress bayonets with about 7 pages of Imperial German bayonets.

I am also waiting for Roy Williams to publish volume 3 of ‘The Collectors Book of German Bayonets’ series which promises to include a chapter on ‘Hunting, Dress & Presentation Bayonets from 1700-1945’

Anyone know when its due out?

Cooky

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
      X