My new Pilot Badge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My new Pilot Badge

After reading about and researching pilot badges, I decided to purchase one. It is non-magnetic, has a repaired catch, and has a die flaw along the right arch of the crown. I believe it is a legit piece but would appreciate feedback.

Regards,

Carl C
    Attached Files

A couple more photos.
    Attached Files

Comment

A close up.
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Carl!
        Your close-up photos are real masterpieces but from what I can identify the badge seems to be ok. A supposedly Deumer-made specimen, should be magnetic by the look of the worn areas (they come in silvered brass/tombak as well)...
        Congratulations!
        Hagrid

Comment

I agree that it is "legit" as you said, but I would not venture a guess as to when exactly it was made. I believe that may of the one piece stamped examples were made during WWI, but I know for a fact that many were not and date as late as the 1930s.

I have seen these in plated tombac, iron (or mild steel) and "German Silver"/Alpacca.

I have no idea if all three materials mentioned above were used for this type of badge DURING WWI, but I do believe that the iron base metal was probably used later in WWI and maybe not afterwards....but I can not back that opinion up with hard facts.

Controversial opinion I realize, but I have never seen evidence that these stamped types were in fact THE WWI award version!! It is often claimed, but frankly most evidence of documented badges suggest the opposite! That is that the two piece silver badges were the award badges, at least until the last few months or so of the war.

I have badges like yours and hope that they are WWI....but even if they date from the 30s, they are still "legit", I am only trying express the direction of where the evidence had led me.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X