Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Request for Help With Breast Star

Gentlemen:

Could anyone tell us what we have here? The reverse is hallmarked, "P. MEYBAUER, BERLIN, S.W. 68".

Any help is very much appreciated.

Best regards to all,

Clay
    Attached Files

Another Photograph
    Attached Files

Comment

One WAF member has suggested to us this breast star might be some kind of "wearing" badge that was worn in the field in place of a recipient's original breast star.

This breast star is much lighter than an original breast star badge.

Has anyone ever heard of that type of badge?

Comment

In any case, not a breast star for "field wearing".

I can suggest that this star could be an old stage prop.

E.L.

Comment

Here's a similar one for sale at the moment
          https://postimg.org/image/q7g2qv1bb/

Comment

Highly decorative pieces indeed.

E.L.

Comment

Could it be a modified helmet plate?

Comment

Meybauer also made a single-sided PLM, so why not different models of this star for actual wearing, display, funeral pillows, stage work, etc.?

Comment

The style seems to resemble a Wappen, certainly not a wear copy, there's no enamel on the entire star, looks more like paint, there's also a lack of paint of the leafs below,

Comment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suum_cuique

Pete

Comment

I believe like others that this is a theatrical/film prop.

There were many historical films made in the 1920s and 30s, which because they were shot in B&W and not as sharp as today's fims, didn't really need a breast star with much color.

Even in color films, the details didn't need to be that good. Many years ago, I saw a couple of the Breast Stars and other decorations worn by Karlheinz Böhm, as Franz Josef in the 1955 movie, Sissi. They looked pretty impressive in the film. But, in hand they were rather tinny and only painted, not enameled.
                      Here are a couple of stills from the film.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Brian L.; 07-03-2016, 04:16 AM.

Comment

From what I remember, the uniforms worn by K-H Böhm, were enriched with copy orders made by Rothe, Vienna.

E.L.

Comment

Originally posted by Elmar Lang View Post
                          From what I remember, the uniforms worn by K-H Böhm, were enriched with copy orders made by Rothe, Vienna.

E.L.
                          Maybe it was just a story, then I was told by the dealer (Austrian by the way) who had them. The ones I saw did look good on display, but were just light and not finished like originals. It was in 1978. So, maybe my memory of them is a little off. But, anyway, they were props much like the one that started this thread.

Comment

I have a piece around here that came from a vets estate that is similar to this but not quite as nice. Theory then was that these may have been made to pin on the horse blankets for the Guards. Bullion stars would be destroyed or have to be removed for washing. These could easily be removed.

Comment

Guys:

We very much appreciate all who read this thread and shared their information.

Many thanks and our best regards to all,

Clay

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X