Generaloberst von Boroevic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Generaloberst von Boroevic

Generalfeldmarschall Svetozar Boroević was an Austro-Hungarian field marshal of Serbian origin from the Croatian Military Frontier, who was described as one of the finest defensive strategists of the First World War.

A 1914-1916 commemorative tinnie.........

Attached Files
    RonR

Attached Files
    RonR

Comment

Very nice Ron. I like the Austrian cap badges from WW1. They are actually made in quality.
      pseudo-expert

Comment

Originally posted by Don D. View Post
        Very nice Ron. I like the Austrian cap badges from WW1. They are actually made in quality.
        Hi Ron!
        I completely agree with Don!

Kind regards, Peter

p.s. I really like this one!
        Attached Files

Comment

Many thanks guys for those kind words.

Have accumulated a few of these over the years......

Attached Files
          RonR

Comment

Peter.

Really like yours!

Perhaps this one is my favorite......

Attached Files
            RonR

Comment

What is the machinegun one with the 18?
              pseudo-expert

Comment

Don,

A Reserve Badge.....

Attached Files
                RonR

Comment

Nice Ron! Austrian WWI-cap badges are a rather wide field for collecting!

Kind regards, Peter

Comment

Very neat. Thanks again Ron.
                    pseudo-expert

Comment

Great collection of badges, guys! I especially like Ron's Boroevic, which has a special meaning for Slovenia and Slovenians. At the beginning of war with Italy, Austrian HQ opted to slowly withdraw from Soča (Isonzo) towards Drava (Drau) and Varaždin, what would mean most of Slovenian territory would be devastated by war. But Boroević didn't want to sacrifice the country of "Slavic brothers" so insisted (and succeeded) in idea of stout defence at western borders of (nowadays) Slovenia. He was very popular by Slovenian regiments and folk in WW1, called "Soški lev" (Lion of Soča) and he was proclaimed a honorary citizen of Ljubljana. But just after the war the government changed and Boroević soon became persona non grata, his honorary township being revoked. In 2009, the honorary title was returned to him by Ljubljana city council.

Can you read the maker's mark on that badge? It's interesting that his name is spelled incorectly, using "hard Č" (as used in Slovenian, Czech and Slovak language) instead of proper "soft Ć" as used by Croats and Serbs. And he was not "von Boroević", but Boroević von Bojna. He claimed Bojna was name of his home village, and it also means batallion in Croatian. He declared himself as "Croat of orthodox religion", which was erroneus, and we believe he declared himself Croat b/c Serbs were enemies of old empire, despite many Serbs from Croatia and Bosnia proudly served in AH regiments.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svetozar_Boroevi%C4%87

Comment

Valter,

Many, many thanks for this marvelous information.

Here is a closer look at the maker mark (with a little added moisture).....

Attached Files
                        RonR

Comment

Ron,

you're welcome. I'm glad I can help with some information from time to time. And thanks to you for additional pictures!

I read Brüder Schne ... could it be Brüder Schneider, Vienna?

Comment

Believe you are right ...BSW....
                            Attached Files
                            RonR

Comment

Originally posted by Valter Gorenc View Post
                              He claimed Bojna was name of his home village, and it also means batallion in Croatian. He declared himself as "Croat of orthodox religion", which was erroneus, and we believe he declared himself Croat b/c Serbs were enemies of old empire, despite many Serbs from Croatia and Bosnia proudly served in AH regiments.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svetozar_Boroevi%C4%87
                              Just want to add one little corection. He was born in Umetić and his mother was born in Bojna, near Glina.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X