Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hollow Back Pilot Badge

Gentlemen,

I'm considering investing in a pilot badge for my collection. My OEK book does not list iron as a metal used for Pilot Badge construction (OEK 3286). Research in this forum seems to indicate otherwise.

I'm posting some pictures of a badge described as circa 1917. It is silvered and stamped out of iron. I'd like to verify the badge is authentic. Is it really from circa 1917? Is my OEK manual incomplete not listing iron as a metal used in badge construction?

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to your observations and opinions.

Carl C
    Attached Files

Close up and different angle of the reverse.

Thanks.

Carl C
    Attached Files

Comment

Badge looks fine to me, unknown maker but this type is seen fairly often. The crown arch ( right as you look at it) normally has a die flaw, this one appears not to have that characteristic so assume it is an earlier one. Not sure how they know it is a 1917 model .These were produced by this maker through the war years and post war too as they are found with typical 1930's/40's pin and catch hardware. Iron or steel base metal is seen quite often on this makers badges. Ferg

Comment

Thanks for the info. Do you think the hardware is typical if a wartime/20's piece?

Carl

Comment

Hard to say, but I would say earlier rather than late.

Comment

Are you sure you mean iron? Possibly steel?
            Do you say that because it is magnetic?
            How bout a side shot of the hinge ?
            Would not be 20's , as they are usually star back types and not open like this style. Try searching for all issue pilots badges for comparison .

Comment

Hi, It is listed by the seller as magnetic and silvered iron.

Carl

Comment

Gentlemen, while we're talking about badges, here's another. It is described as silvered tombak. The hardware is different. I have no idea what the number on the back means. So I guess there's two questions, Is it a good one? When was it produced?

All info is appreciated. Thanks.

Carl
                Attached Files

Comment

A couple more photos.
                  Attached Files

Comment

And a close up.

Again, thanks in advance.

Carl C
                    Attached Files

Comment

This one is an awful light stamping. I think the lighting being so bright in all your photos does not lend to getting the look they deserve. Maybe retake the shots in a little darker light might be in order.
                      So far IMO the first one resembles the period type, but not seeing shots in focus , and none of the hinge, I can't give it a positive.
                      Second one has good workmanship on the hinge soldering...and the hook seems possible as a replacement transitional type hardware one might find ..although I personally do not care for the details as it is difficult to see clearly. Not sure if these are someone else's photos or not.
                      Last edited by juoneen; 06-25-2016, 11:07 PM.

Comment

Well I can see it clearly enough and the second one looks to be the same die strike as the Juncker pilot badges that no one likes i.e. crown marked pieces. The give away is in the fuselage shape ( has a slight crank /buckle to it) . I have to say that it would raise alarm bells with me. I have never seen one like this with 57-er style hardware to reverse. The pin catch assembly is typical of that veteran re-issue period stuff. Ferg

Comment

Fake Cliche German Pilots

Gents,

Very very well documented in the book. Well know copy that is also going in a two-piece Juncker marked.

It has the wheel axel out of alignment and lacks a berry on the left side when compared to a legit Juncker that it replicates.

Get a good reference the information is out there!!!

Comment

Are you sure?
                            I'd always thought it's an extra berry that marks the fake...
                            Regards
                            Hagrid

Comment

Well, I'm learning quite a bit. Thank you to everyone.

After reading these comments and taking another look at badges posted on the forum it would seem to me that the stamped "Junker" badges should have four berries, not five. Am I correct on this?

Carl C

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X