CollectorsGuild

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1813 / 1870-71 LAPEL DEVICE in shape of IRON CROSS ID HELP...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1813 / 1870-71 LAPEL DEVICE in shape of IRON CROSS ID HELP...

Hello folks. Not quite sure what to make of this little device. VERY small (button-hole / lapel size), measures just 5/8". The obverse has the date "1813" on the top arm of the cross, with "1870-71" at the base. The center device seems to be an intertwined "P" and "9", flanked on both sides by Gothic / Faktur script "I" and "F" (I believe). The reverse has a threaded post w/ circular nut. No markings whatsoever. Does anyone have any idea? It was included in an estate group which had both WWI and WWII items...A quick snap of the obverse below, and thanks in advance for any assistance id'ing this one.
    Attached Files

Seems that this little guy IS quite a mystery...over 100 views w/ no feedback!? The search goes on, so it seems....

Comment

Wish I could help, but I have never seen one like it before.

Comment

Hi Greg, thanks. Yes, seems it’s a bit of a mystery! Hope I can figure it out at some point...It was in a mixed WWI / WWII estate lot I acquired.

Comment

I would guess it's patriotic item made after the 1870/71 war, but quite much before 1914. However when it's made are just guesses as I haven't seen one before

Comment

Thanks Dannson. Yes, I’d say safe to assume that it’s some sort of commemorative item for the 1870 war...interesting also with the 1813 reference at the top....Wish I could get some more information on it, but will just keep on searching. Thanks for your feedback.

Comment

1813 is the year when the EK was first introduced, and the next time after 1813 was the war of 1870/71. Patriotic years, iron cross related up to some point obviously, thinking on the years and the shape of the small thing.

Comment

I thought perhaps the "P9" stood for the Schleswig-Holstein Pion.Batl. Nr. 9. They did participate in the war. The letters to the sides look like "J" (meaning perhaps "I") and an "F". I tried to find something that would correspond to the P.B.9, but nothing came to light.

Chip

Comment

Thanks gents. Yes, the 1813 incorporation of the Eisernes Kreuz and the EK form of the badge itself are a clear reference to the iron cross medal, and with the war dates, I suppose we can be safe in assuming that it’s got something to do w/ the 1870 / 71 war...whether or not it relates to the EK medal award or the war itself (or both), I’ve yet to ascertain. Thanks again for the feedback everyone!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X