The imperial german Mess-Tin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The imperial german Mess-Tin

I wonder why there are so rarely threads about imperial german equipment in this forum so I'll continue my "alternative stuff/ordnance/equipment"-threads with some informations about the mess-tin used by the german army before and during World War 1.

The first mess-tin in the well known style was introduced in 1893. I will call it simply the model 93 mess-tin which was made from black painted aluminium. Other sources call it the model 1908, so if someone knows more about this point, please let me know.
    Its successor was the model 1910 mess-tin which can be seen below attached to a Tornister. I will explain the difference in the next posting.
    All these mess-tins can hold 2 liters and have a small marking stamped on the front for every 500 ml.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by JensF.; 03-18-2005, 05:02 PM.

Another view of the model 10 which was also made from black painted aluminium.
    Attached Files

Comment

The most important difference to the model 93 was this small hook which was added to the model 10 to give the leather strap a better hold. The grip of the cover was also made from struck iron instead several layers of aluminium to prevent burned fingers because iron will not heat as fast as aluminium.
      Attached Files

Comment

Now we leave the peacetime and go to war...
        Around 1915/16 they began to produce the mess-tins from cheap "Ersatzmaterial" which was usually painted or enamelled (real fire-enamel like they used for medals!) iron. Here an example made from iron. The outside is black enamelled. The soldiers hated this model because it was much heavier than the aluminium model and the enamel got very easy bricks and the well-known enamel chips we all know from our medals.
        Here you can see the four 500 ml markings very clear.
        Last edited by JensF.; 02-04-2005, 10:55 AM.

Comment

The inner side is enamelled dark blue. I will explain the spoon-fork combination and its attachment in the mess-tin in the next postings.
          Attached Files

Comment

The inner side of the lid is enamelled blue also. Strangely this part is painted fieldgray on the outside instead of enamel.
            Attached Files

Comment

The fieldgray painted lid.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by JensF.; 02-04-2005, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Nearly all wartime made mess-tins have a makers mark and the date. This one is marked "BELLING 1917".

Some of the model 10 and before don't have stamps but they have sometimes a unit mark!
                Attached Files

Comment

Another example completely made from fieldgray (!) enamelled iron.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Closeup of the makers mark and date "SILESIA 17". This mark is made with some kind of "Brennlack" (burned-in paint).
                    Attached Files

Comment

The same mark on the lower part also. The most of these mess-tins have the marks/stamps only on the grip-attachment of the lid.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Same color to the inner side of the lid. As you can see, nearly all colors and color combinations are possible!
                        Attached Files

Comment

Here is a closeup of the little nose inside which was used to hold the "Göffel" (spork???) , the fork-spoon combination. It was called "Göffel" by the soldiers; a name made from the german words "Löffel" (spoon) and "Gabel" (fork).
                          Attached Files

Comment

And here with correctly attached "Göffel". A WW2 "Göffel" won't fit; it is too short! The "Spork" of WW1 was made from tin-plated iron and has a small nose on the grip of the spoon which fits into the the mess-tins rim.
                            Attached Files

Comment

A german mess-tin seen on the Verdun battlefield. This one is made from fieldgray painted iron. Some remaining paint is still visible on the left side.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X