• Show
Clear All

1870 Ek1

This just came in the mail today. I am so excited to share it
    that I have not taken time to do proper pictures, just some quick
    scans.

1870 Godet wideframe with hooks.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by gregM; 05-16-2016, 11:15 PM.

It has some condition issues. It's been hand vaulted which
    resulted in the cracked core. The catch has been reattached
    and its got a coat of varnish or laquer on it. But even with
    these issues, I am thrilled to add it to my collection.

Thanks Tony, Trevor and Kay for your help with this.

Comment

Congratulations Greg!! A fine addition to your collection

Jim

Comment

Never seen a 1870 EKII like that! Congrats!
        Vellocino

Comment

Very nice EK, Greg. I love the been there look

Comment

Im so pleased for you Greg. I know you have wanted one of these for years and now you have a real nice and authentic looking example of a fairly rare version.

Forget the condition, it looks just great to me.

Congrats my friend

Marshall

Comment

Originally posted by Biro View Post
              Im so pleased for you Greg. I know you have wanted one of these for years and now you have a real nice and authentic looking example of a fairly rare version.
              +1

Personally, I don´t see any issue. Just perfectly aged rare cross.

Comment

What a great addition to your collection, Greg. Congrats!

Comment

Congrats my friend!
                  What a great cross to add to your excellent collection. I'm very happy for you. Welcome to another level of the 'club'.
                  I love the 'been there, done that' look that just exhudes charactor and wears it's age gracefully.
                  Well done Greg!
                  An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

Nice ,,just nice ,,congratulations to such a nice Iron cross ..

Kay

Comment

Great score Greg. Congratulations

If it were mine I would explore ways to remove the lacquer.
                      Best regards,
                      Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Congratulations......a very nice and rare cross.
                        The 1914 Godet with hooks is already difficult to find, this one .........a needle in a haystack

Comment

Great addition Greg!

That cross is just great and the condition is in my opinion not a minus, but gives it a look of a cross that actually is 145 years old!

Now you're a lucky owner of a 1870 EK1!

Comment

Originally posted by gregM View Post
                            It has some condition issues. It's been hand vaulted which
                            resulted in the cracked core. The catch has been reattached
                            and its got a coat of varnish or laquer on it. But even with
                            these issues, I am thrilled to add it to my collection.

Thanks Tony, Trevor and Kay for your help with this.

hy Greg

I give you some info from my research for this cross .

the few we know and seen of these Godet crosses come with this worn look
                            and sure ,,145 year old crosses should look worn
                            as they are obviously where worn and not lying in a draw ore stuffed in storage 145 years,,such as the minty Wagners .( if ,,wagners that old ? )

yours is obviously repaired on the hook fore the pin ,,, I can by now judge it as typical jeweler repair ,,,,,and it only adds to the value of the cross as period evidence of originality ,,but also fore the soldier who had it repaired it was most valuable as the repair proves .
                            even the more ,,as many people do not know ,,the soldier could have a brand new one free of charge if a cross would damaged like that ,,just by regulations .

the few we know and seen of these Godet crosses come with jeweler repairs and reinforcements,,,all following the a very logic certain way of how its done ,,,all
                            to subdue of the property of silver ,,,

as fore the core ,,,A type core and proof that believes of godet casting they're own cores is outdated bull right from the beginning ,,,a wild guess or thing from the internet.
                            but fore the german reading collector its not new ,,but proven fact over 144 years.

be careful with the coat of varnish or laquer on it

My research in jeweler techniques told me that the coat of varnish or lacquer on it could be original ,,,in fact it could be THE REMAINS OF DRüCKER SCHWäRZE .
                            OFTEN USED ON IRON IN COMBINATION WITH CHEMICAL BLACKENING OF THE IRON OXIDE AS SECOND LAYER ON TOP OF THE CHEMICAL PROCESS.

hope it gives you some more way's of looking at it

regards kay
                            Last edited by Montgomery Burns; 05-17-2016, 12:37 PM.

Comment

wrong post .

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,823 at 04:24 PM on Today.

Working...
                              X