This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dear all!
    It has been a while since the last entry in this thread, so I thought I would revive it a little
    I´ve stumbled over this peculiar specimen in german ebay and was wondering whether it could be real.
    There are several differences to the other examples shown in this thread before:
    The eagle looks to the right with gaping beak, golden acorns, no makers mark...
    The owner claims it to be an early (prototype)-badge and gives this page as a reference:
    kituntetes.webnode.hu/jelvenyek/monarchias-repulosjelveny
    So: What do you guys think or know about this variant? Is it a fake or a variant or just a different interpretation of a known scheme?
    I would be happy with every input!
    Cheers
    Hagrid
    Attached Files

Comment

In my opinion, these pieces with oak (rather than laurel) wreath are unofficial private purchases. I have seen them in many variants of hardware, rivets (and prongs), material (tombac or solid silver) and finish, which leads me to think they were produced for quite a long period of time, and not only by one jeweler.

Speaking about the hypothesis that this is a prototype variant, that Hungarian page is the only one to claim such opinion so far. But having in mind how less we know about these badges, it is still possible to claim. The only thing left to explain is how prototypes made it to the market in such amounts and in so many (not only) hardware variations.

Regarding this piece, I would pass it just because it is not the best example of this type. Prevailing number of these had the acorns enamelled red which results in quite extraordinary look (though even more far away from Zimbler awarded originals). Looking at the hardware as well, this is probably a very late piece (I´d say 1960s).

Comment

Hi Miro!
        Thanks for your opinion - but laurels ? Aren‘t the leaves on the wreaths of the pilots badges not generally oaks?
        Regards
        Hagrid

Comment

Originally posted by Hagrid View Post
          Hi Miro!
          Thanks for your opinion - but laurels ? Aren‘t the leaves on the wreaths of the pilots badges not generally oaks?
          Regards
          Hagrid
          I´ve never said I was good in biology, so I can stand corrected.
          All I wanted to point out is, that regardless of the fact which plant is depicted on Austrian pilot badges, the type in question is the only one of all awarded types and private purchases I know to have acorns in the wreath.

Comment

Hello,
            this badge is a piece made for private purchase, by Messrs. Rothe & Neffe, Vienna. It was produced in many variations of fastening, like pin, clip, etc.
            The quality and manufacture, allows me to attribute it to the early post-1945 production.
            All the best,
            Enzo (E. L.)

Comment

Thank you both for your esteemed opinion - very much appreciated!
              Regards
              Hagrid

Comment

I agree that Rothe&Neffe was involved in making these (let´s call them) Acorn variants, but I am sure there were also other makers.

I personally like this type, and still don´t have one in my collection, but my reference folder has already five badges I was outbid on. Three of them are unmarked, but two have maker´s marks.

First one is stamped with typical triple leaf around the letters BSW of company Bruder Schneider Wien. Second one has the maker´s mark on eagle only partially visible, as there was no picture with opened pin available.

AR---ZAS
                BU---EST (probably Budapest)

If someone is interested to post these pictures here, I can send them via email.

Comment

Thanks to Miro for his pictures of his "acorn"-badges with makers mark
                  Regards
                  Hagrid
                  Attached Files

Comment

...and here are the other - unmarked - examples from his files, one made of solid silver

Regards
                    Hagrid
                    Attached Files

Comment

Comment

If I understand correctly, in post #56 we have an original in the left and a fake in the right, is this correct?

Comment

Hey guys, decided to wake up this thread, by showing you this absolute stunner, “been there - done that” type of badge. One of the crosses at the top of the crowns and the two ribbons on the side of the crowns are lost to time.
                          It’s also inscribed on the back of the wreath, maybe someone will help with some info on this pilot. The name scratched is “HANGAY”. Maybe that’s not a very common name?!
                          Anyway, enjoy!
                          P.S. I’m reading this thread and I feel bad for the hobby with authors like Mr. Pandis. There are 2 more badges that no one has mentioned so far (one American and one Bulgarian) , originals listed in the fake section - that’s quite unfortunate.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X