Godet Storefront Images?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Godet Storefront Images?

Over the years, I've seen a couple of different images of the J. Godet & Sohn storefront/display window posted in the forum, but having a hard time tracking them all down. Anyone able to help with links or a re-post of the pictures?

Any Gebruder Godet store image?

Thanks,

Jim

I've got a couple.
    Attached Files
    Best regards,
    Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Miro has a very good archive of these images.
      Best regards,
      Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Just think what the value of that window display would be in today's market.

Comment

Thanks much Trevor! Will PM Miro, too.

No kidding, Greg--and no need to debate authenticity!

Jim

Comment

J.Godet

J. Godet from the web-appears to be separate storefronts.
            Attached Files

Comment

In one of our old Godet threads, didn't we see that they changed locations
              at some point?

Comment

The first image "Godet-Standort Schlossfreiheit No.4 Berlin 1761-1893".
                Second image " Godet-Standort Friedrichstr.167/168 1893".

Comment

Hi Jim,

Thanks for pm request. I have some photos of Godet shops, but unfortunately just two very similar pics of Charlottenstrasse 55, and both are from the Godet & Sohn times. Both pics are not of shop display but views of the whole building, without focus on Godet shop.

Pictures come from period postcards that were quite widely used for a long period of time. It is because the building was from 70% occupied by American Express Company, that offered their customers (mostly American tourists) exchanging of their travel checks for german marks. Apart from it, American Express building served as a post office, where you could - after exchanging money - buy this postcard and send your relatives a note, that you are safe and sound.

I am posting both. Godet shop is on the far left side, under those marquees (you can see them rolled up on Trevor´s pic - right below the corporate sign).

PS: The building was badly damaged during ww2, but was partially reconstructed and partially rebuilt in modern style (now it has glass roof). In the present, a luxurious restaurant is situated there, called Augustiner Am Gendarmenmarkt.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Erickn View Post
                    The first image "Godet-Standort Schlossfreiheit No.4 Berlin 1761-1893".
                    Second image " Godet-Standort Friedrichstr.167/168 1893".
                    Just a small corrections:

The first image: Godet shop at Schlossfreiheit 4 as it looked like since around 1850 until 1893. The older layout had only one entrance to the building.

Second image: The newer shop design at Friedrichstrasse 167/168 from around 1910, as is portrayed in the Jubiläumschrift 1911. The older layout was with one bigger window and entrance to the right of it (see posted picture).
                    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Gents--much appreciate these! In addition to my primary interest in looking for what details they might contain, these pics also give context to (and kind of bring to life, really) those well-known addresses for the Godet firms.

Jim

Comment

Great pictures Miro, Thanks for posting them.

Comment

Hello Miro,

Thanks for the correction BTW, fine image!

Regards
                          E.

Comment

Thanks Greg and Eric.

Personally, I have the biggest problem to find some good picture of Friedrichstrasse 173, where Werner and later Godet-Werner were situated. All I have is this postcard of Friedrichstrasse 172 focused on famous restaurant Spatenbräu, where Friedrichstrasse 173 can be partially seen (to the left of restaurant).
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Miro O View Post
                              Personally, I have the biggest problem to find some good picture of Friedrichstrasse 173, where Werner and later Godet-Werner were situated.
                              I have a couple of decent photos of J H Werners shop front which I've sent my friend Greg - I'm sure he will post them here for you Miro.

My membership has lapsed.

Marshall

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X